Saturday, August 11, 2012

WE may be away from the Motor home to walk on the trail

Funny, we all know the statement ‘plans of Mice and men.’  They all are subject to change.  Yesterday we sat in the Motor Home and watched it rain here in New York’s Rondout Valley. We had made plans to hike on the AT and have a picnic. HOWEVER….

So today we hope to drive to New Palz and have breakfast then go to the trail. I have two packs ready, I will grab one at random and we will set out to walk for an hour or so then picnic. It doesn’t matte what is in the pack, I just need the weight. LOL

028

(New Hampshire 2009)

I told Fred last night, I will be as out of shape as the rest of the old men when we start the hike, but I will bring 1850 miles of hiking experience.

027

(I am glad I posted these, I couldn’t remember who had which pack)

I am not one to fall for all the ads and suggestions I see. The latest guy I read suggested I carry 1.75lbs of food a day, my mind says, “are you crazy?”, that is 21 lbs of food alone, not counting water, tent clothes, and assorted stuff I must carry. So for me, I like Ramen noodles at 3 oz a pack, one a day, 2 oz of p-nut butter crackers and some prunes/raisins. Plus Sherry always must have an ounce of candy, the itty bitty Hershey/Mars stuff.

I hope to eat less than a pound a day that is for sure. 

Now don’t get me wrong, if someone can carry three meals a day have at it. But I will eat a cow at the end of the trail hahahaha! I have enough fat stored on my body to get me thru on what I miss. Isn’t that what the body stores that excess fat for, emergency energy?  Well at least that is what my teachers taught me in school.

I am smiling, if my son Mark goes with us, his requirement will be more. hahaha!

Today I only walked about 3 miles, without a pack. I walk about 3 miles an hour without a pack and about 2 with the pack. It is very exhilarating to be in the woods, depending on what is on your back, and alone with your thoughts.

Truly I am getting anxious to talk to Fred, Gordon and Will in the evenings by a fire.  If for some reason it doesn’t work out, it has been fun thinking about it. I do not mind hiking solo if it works out that way. I was telling Sherry today, I would hate to injure myself and everyone go without me!!!!  I don’t want to miss the bus.

From Rondout Valley

Nite Shipslog

PS:

When you lose, don't lose the lesson !

*********************************************

1955 packard conv caribbean

The ‘55 Packard Carribean, with a unique paint job. That would be neat to cruise-in in!

9 comments:

Paula said...

I'm even getting excited about your hike. Hope you all get to go and then you write about it.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Keep only the good thoughts there for the days ahead. The time is getting closer and it's good you are keeping in practice. It's like a fall day here with rain again this morning. I'm going in now to get another layer of clothing on. I've been out on the deck here with my coffee this morning. Hope your Saturday is a super one.

~mel said...

I'm with Paula on getting excited about your big hike. You know ... if you took me along and worse came to worse, I'd let you nibble on my leg bone if necessary to see you through; we Donner's are like that:) JUST KIDDING!! But I wouldn't have to pack any food if we were only allowed to live on our reserves, aka. fat ... I'd be good 'til spring!

shirl72 said...

Hope the trail hike goes as
planned, can't stand to see a
grown man cry. LOL

Do be careful so many of people
around me are breaking something.

We will be cheering you on.

Shirl

Louis la Vache said...

Well, you KNEW «Louis» would be pleased to see this Packard Caribbean! This '55 model is one of 500 Caribbeans built for that model year.

TARYTERRE said...

you need to throw some beef jerky in your pack too. Good luck on your adventures. Routing for you and the guys. Take care.

Forbrukslån uten sikkerhet said...

Out of shape as the rest of the old men when we start the hike, but will bring 1850 miles of hiking experience.

Lucy said...

Jack, I have confidence in you, on your big hike. I can tell you are really looking forward to it.

Chatty Crone said...

GOOD LUCK AND BE CAREFUL! sandie