Thursday, August 2, 2012

Stoop Labor, I hate that term

It seems to portray the work as demeaning, anyone doing it as low class, trash, or unfit for any other job. I guess I am a dinosaur talking, but work is work. The term labor is used, but it is still just plain work. You get paid to work. some jobs pay more than others. Growing up I did not know what entry level jobs meant, as matter of fact I don’t think those terms had not been coined.  Everyone knew that some jobs would not pay enough to buy a house, support a family or even buy a car.  Some jobs were beginner’s jobs.

You took one of those so you could have a work history. A History to show you were dependable. You could be counted on to be on the job EVERY DAY.  Then if you were ambitious enough, you started checking out other jobs that paid more. My daddy had the opinion that if you were getting paid 50 cents an hour and wanted more, you had better put out 75cents an hour’s worth of work; And after awhile the boss will notice and recommend you for a raise.

No one I knew expected their first job to be much more than a stepping stone. Since living in Florida I have learned a lot about labor jobs. Seasonal work and Temporary labor. Picking fruit pays $9.50-$11 an hour. We have many folk on welfare and unemployment who will not touch those jobs, they can make more tax free than working.  I have always preferred to work. One company has had only two US citizens apply for work, one lasted a day the other a week. Most folk do not want to work, they want a check.

And yes, before someone bites my head off about there is no advancement, there is. Men go from picking fruit to working on construction. Some real ambitious folks will form their own picking crews.  Some start their own landscape companies after working at the job for a year or so.

Anyway, I read that term ‘STOOP LABOR’ the other day and it irked me. My daddy did it, my kin folk done it in their early years and were proud of the steps they made to success. Merchants, truck owners/drivers, ministers, and real estate folks. All from down on the farm where ‘Stoop Labor’ is common.  I am not talking about me, but I am the product of a family who was not afraid of work.

It wouldn’t have hurt some of the lawyers and politicians I have known, to have done a little stooping.

Okay, off the soap box and glad you chose to come by the log.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Life sometimes gives you a second chance, take it!

****************************************************

Zaglemeyer_Kampcar

Zaglemeyer Kampcar, around 1920. Built on the T-model Frame in Bay City, Michigan. The slideout was way ahead of it’s time. Betcha it was CCCold.

10 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I have never heard that term, 'STOOP LABOR’. Based on the definition you gave, it's the kind of work members of my family did too. It paid a wage. Work that does that should be considered honorable.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I too have never heard that term used before, but I do know what it is to work. I worked from the time I was young and now am retired so there were many years of work. I don't think it matters at all what kind of work we do, but that we give it our best when we do work. Today I'm babysitting for my youngest grandson. That is work I love to do. The only pay I'll get is some sweet smiles and some baby coos. I'm going to love it! Hope you all have a great Thursday. It's going up over 90 here. Take care.

Ken Riches said...

I worked many different entry level jobs to get myself through college. The hard work paid off.

Paula said...

Never heard that term either. There are all kinds of jobs here now with the oil field boom. I wonder if all the people who were on all the government programs have applied yet.

shirl72 said...

I never heard of stoop labor.
I have done lots of jobs to get to were I am today. Work pays off.

When I first read the term I thought I done that all my life
keeping my yards looking good.
Stooping pulling weeds..hahaha
Our Family did pretty good.

Shirl

Anonymous said...

Well, today, a woman I interviewed looking for employment told me that if she is not paid $15 an hour(the job was low-level for $13.50) she is doing better unemployed on assistance.
Ok.

Chatty Crone said...

I agree I'd rather work for my family then be handed over things - I feel there is just someone that makes you feel so good about working and the challenges. Unless I win the lottery - lol. sandie

Chatty Crone said...

I agree I'd rather work for my family then be handed over things - I feel there is just someone that makes you feel so good about working and the challenges. Unless I win the lottery - lol. sandie

Dar said...

I started from the bottom of the kitchen crew, washing dishes and before I knew it, I was hostess at a once, nice place to dine. From there, I did many labor jobs and apparently, my term ain't up yet. I just got out of the garden, stooping over the bean rows and picking cucs...Ha! One of my regrets, however, was not keeping up with the medical end of things. I could be your doctor, by now, had I not chosen a family over education. The jobs all paid off well, tho, I'm not complaining one bit. The Lord chose my way, and I thank Him for it.
BlessYa

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» seconds you on your rant! Stay on your soap box!

Oh.
Oops.
«Louis» forgot.
Ă˜bama told us if we are a success, we didn't do it on our own.

Sorry.
«Louis» forgot he is expected to parrot the party line...