Wednesday, August 22, 2012

There was a short lived radio program in the early 1950’s

(Before I start, I must apologize to my sweetheart Dar. I was a smart aleck about the truss. Saying that to a lady who skinned all the logs to a log cabin and helped build the whole beautiful thing, Love you girl, you are one smart chickie!)

********************************************

Now I can think, I think. Oh yeah, the Radio program………

It was called “If by a stroke of fate”. As a kid, my dad told me Shirl needed a room to herself. My sister was now a teenager. We lived in a two bed room house. Dad located a home-made 8’x8’ Masonite trailer and apologized, but that was my bedroom. Of course that did not upset me. Me & my dog Ace loved that little trailer.

I had my own radio. It had no knobs on it and the stations were adjusted by taking my finger  moving he variable capacitor. The radio had no case. But every night Ace and I would listen to the radio. I loved the programs. On Sunday night I got to hear “Matt Dillon” as he kept the streets of Dodge City clean.  There was a program of jokes, called ‘Can you top this?’ Supposedly, listeners would send in jokes and the ones that got the loudest laughs won. I sent in a couple but mine were never used.

The most interesting program to me was entitled, “If by a stroke of fate….”. One program went like this: “If by a stroke of fate, John Wilkes Booth had only wounded Abraham Lincoln.” then they went on to say what would have happened in their opinion.  I remember another, “If by a stoke of fate the first Confederate submarine had been successful..”

No one else seems to have heard these programs except a 13 yr old boy in a trailer with his dog. But since then I have played that ‘Stroke of Fate’ program over in my mind many times.

If by a stroke of fate I had not quit school…

If by a stroke of fate, Sherry had moved away before I move into Belmont…

If by a stroke of fate my dad had been president instead of a Holiness Preacher…..

What if by a stroke of fate, I had been born blind…

If by a stroke of fate I had been seriously, permanently injured when I wrecked my first car….

Fact is, all that stuff is useless, that program was useless, except for a story, because you cannot change the past, nor accurately predict what WOULD HAVE BEEN!

‘What if?’ and ‘I told you so!’, are two of the most useless statements that exist in this world. But we humans still try to change the past.

I have a friend who is want to say, “It is what it is!”

I have come to realize, that is absolutely true.  I laugh at Dr. Branham’s last statement to me when we left him in Cleveland , Tennessee:

“REMEMBER SON, NO MATTER WHERE YOU FIND YOURSELF IN LIFE…. THERE YOU ARE!”

Thanks for reading this junk.

Niter Shipslog

PS:

A three-year-old boy was examining his testicles
while taking a bath.
"Mom" he asked, "are these my brains?"
"Not yet," she replied.

(Thanks Shirl)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

say what

Say what?  A 1929 Alpha Romeo?  Yelp!

1929 Alpha  (rose)

Three head lights (Tucker must have noticed)

7 comments:

Sheila Y said...

So you had a bachelor pad at a young age...:-)
I used to pick up WSN out of Nashville on the radio at night. Couldn't pick it up during the day that far south. Yes, I was country when country wasn't cool...ha. Take care, Sheila

Chatty Crone said...

I love pugs! lol

And I love this quote:

“REMEMBER SON, NO MATTER WHERE YOU FIND YOURSELF IN LIFE…. THERE YOU ARE!”

Quite excellent.

Sandie

Louis la Vache said...

hee hee...
«Louis» had a radio like that!

Wanna bet that Alfa is red?
;-)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The past is done and none can go back and do it over so true...it is what it is. But today is another chance to get it all right again. Here I am...there you are and we're going to make the most of whatever comes our way today!

Dar said...

yeppers. Here we are~
Hey, sweet man. you don't owe me an apology.....geeez. I WAS wrong and appreciated the correction. Glad you caught it. Thanks my friend ;)

What if's ARE useless. not a thing we can do to change the past, but work to improve the future. like, What fi I hadn't burned my hand a few days ago......owie,owie,owie

Loved the pugs and the joke...truer words were never spoken...ha!
BlessYourHearts

TARYTERRE said...

What a lucky kid to have your own place at such an age. We can spend our entire lives wondering about WHAT IF's. So much to ponder, isn't there. No end in sight. LOL Take care.

Ken Riches said...

My motto is "One Day at a Time!"