Monday, August 20, 2012

Bangor, Maine We are at ‘The Pumpkin Patch RV Resort’

We have Parked here before, a very nice park.  Of course this is going to be home base for our hike thru the 100 Mile Wilderness.

We had a good trip over. We followed US2 great road 99% of the way.

TO MAINE 12 002TO MAINE 12 011TO MAINE 12 008

Saw this guy fishing in the Kennebec River.

TO MAINE 12 005

Sherry caught these two old 1950 Buicks on the side of the road.(I took the color out)

TO MAINE 12 012

(Pumpkin Patch Entrance)

Sherry will be here in the motor home hopefully with our eldest, Jack Jr. Mark the younger plans to hike with me, Fred, Will, & Gordon.  So far all seems to be go. Fred is hoping to  have his strength back, last I heard he walked 6 miles a couple days ago. That is great. 

We have all agreed, there are lots that can happen in four separate families, to cause a change in plans. But that is life.

08272009 003

(Bill & Debra)

I have mentioned Bill Irwin on this Blog several times. He is such an inspiration, and has set the bar pretty danged high, his name is used by Sherry & I many times as he hiked the  AT. Bill lost his sight late in life, as I have lost my hearing. He said he was in denial for a long time before he finally accepted the fact he was blind.

As a spiritual experience and to cleanse his body he decided to to a thru hike on the AT. He did this with  the help of his dog and companion, Orient. So when I come to a tough spot, I say ‘Dadgummit, Bill done this, quit crying and do it’.

His book covering his experiences on the trail, walking 2,176 miles thru mountains, creeks, rivers, towns and flat lands in one season is called, “Blind Courage”. He is a wonderful cheerful man, and is now an international motivational speaker. He can be found at http://billirwin.com/  he is a hero to the thru hikers of the Appalachian Trail.

When we last were in Bangor, we talked with Bill and Debra, his loving wife.  ‘They’ were building a house, facing Mt. Katahdin. Katahdin is where Bill completed his Hike in the snow.

TO MAINE 12 013

(Pumpkin Patch office!)

So if we all can start that will be great, if we cannot all do it, some will. As Fred has said, it is something to shoot and plan for.

Thanks for stopping by the log.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

In a Tokyo Bar:
SPECIAL COCKTAILS FOR THE LADIES WITH NUTS.

(I just copy and paste them folks, I don’t write them)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

buddy2

My friend Buddy’s Mustang, the purple people eater or something like that. It lives in New Mexico.

9 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

BEAUTIFUL place up there. Great home base. Have to mentally prepare for this trek, all of you. You can accomplish anything if you put your mind to it. Sure glad you are not going it alone. LOVE the Buicks in Black and white. take care.

Paula said...

You all are some brave guys. Can't wait to hear all the details.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Very appropriate with fall approaching to be in a place called Pumpkin Patch. You all will be in my prayers for a successful hiking experience. Hope everyone gets to go that wants to. Glad too that someone will be there with Sherry while you are gone on the trail. Where there is a will there is a way they say. It's been a beauty of a day here in Ohio. Low 70's and mostly sunny. I worked outside most of the afternoon and am taking it easy the rest of the day.

Anonymous said...

What a motivating entry. The black/white picture is great. Please have you all a wonderful Tuesday.

Chatty Crone said...

What a man of courage he is! WOW!

Well I am hoping and praying that in four weeks everyone stays well - and gets into shape!

HIKE ON!
sandie

shirl72 said...

Beautiful place. Glad you had a
good trip. We are having nice
weather here. Hope everything goes
well on the hike. I guess you
are getting mentally prepared.

Shirl

Dar said...

It's good to have a home base to camp for Sherry while she waits for your word that all is going well. I still can't wrap my head around such a hike as that. There's just no way I could do that, tho, I sure would love to try. Heck, just hiking up the hill from Lake Superior was a chore for me and that was tiny, teensie-weensie.
Stay Safe, but then I sure don't have to tell you that.
BlessYourJourney

Lucy said...

It is really a beautiful area that we have seen in the pictures. Maine is one place I would like to see. I never will of course but it has always seemed so different to me, just from what I have heard about it.The areas you are showing are just looking so relaxing.

Louis la Vache said...

The Purple People Eater is a great looking Mustang!

«Louis» liked seeing the photo of the '50 Buicks, too. They were built like tanks.