Monday, September 4, 2023

Being corrected

 Today's Auto:

There was a time when the continental kit was the rage This is a '59 chevy


Now for today"

I get things wrong a lot.  I misquote and misunderstand. People with dementia or Alzheimer's do also.  How do you determine that, as the listener?  How do you determine that as the speaker?

Confusing? You have no idea, or maybe you do.

Have you ever known anyone with dementia?  As it took over my mama I corrected her for a few days but NOT for LONG.  I could see how it confused her more.  She would speak of dad, who had been dead for a few years, like he was in the next room, finally I started agreeing with her or I would change the subject..

the continental kit was confusing at times, you never knew if it was real or not.

We have a friend, when visiting her sister and BIL (he was demented).  She told Sherry and I, "He kept getting things wrong but  I finally got him straight!"  In my mind I felt sorry for the BIL, wondering the confusion he must have suffered.


I notice I am getting more defensive when I am corrected. I hope I am not getting Alzheimer's disease, but if I am I just hope folks will accept it like I will have to. 

We know of folks who were afflicted with the disease and became 'mean', much out of character of their early life where they were never combative.   Sherry's brother  who was 'Diagnosed'  as being in the early stages of Alzheimer's', said to his daughter, "I hope I never get mean."

Fortunately he never showed much signs of the disease (around us), but did pass on from other complications.

None of us want to lose our 'memory'.  That was my sister's line as dementia over came her, "I am losing my memory and it worries me to death."  She passed away with kidney problems because she would not drink enough fluids.

Everyone says, "Jack you are just getting old, we all forget things as we age, it is only natural and simply a common gift age gives us."

Now I do hope everyone is right, however at times I think how nice it would be if I could selectively lose the memory of some things. LOL

Nite Shipslog

3 comments:

Glenda Hulbert said...

This post hits so close to home; Dad with Alzheimer's, Mom with dementia. Our Dad just kind of made jokes about his boo-boos. Mama just made fun of herself and didn't let it bother her! We all watched IrmaNee so closely when she was 96 years old and would get mixed up; surprisingly she covered much of the time, she was one intelligent woman; enjoyed her TV shows right up until the end. I still start bawling when I see photos of all of we Conrads together surrounding her, we all, including the Darnells thought the world of her. As do so many others. What a princess and wonderful woman of God! Good one, Jack, give Sherry and the boys hugs from Chobee.
Love y'all, Glenda

Mevely317 said...

I can so identify with much of what Glenda's written. Because my father never exhibited any symptoms, I was blind to what was happening to mother. (That, or I was simply in denial.)
Losing my own mental acuity(?) -- then becoming a burden on my son is something I really fear. When I can't recall the name of an ordinary household object that starts the bad thoughts. Then again, I'm reassured that sort of thing comes with age. *sigh*

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I too have days my memory isn't so good. I forget things I never should. Keeping the calendar handy helps but you have to remember to mark down the important dates. They say a test is if you can remember where you live, So far I do remember my address. So I would say as we get older our brains are on overload. There is so much to remember, we get things mixed up. Growing older isn't easy at all and I'm glad I have good memories to look back on!