Sunday, September 24, 2023

Going to Heaven?

  Car of the day: That heavenly car:



So for today:

At times we sit and reminisce, old folks can do that.  We think of family and friends who have crossed over to the other side. We who are Christian’s plan to see those who were of like faith again one day. We see in our minds hugging our families who went on before. Do you ever wonder how you will find them among the millions there?  Is there a PA system announcing your arrival?

Mark Twain was at best Agnostic. He was famous for saying:

“I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell - you see, I have friends in both places.”  Also: “Go to heaven for the weather or hell for the company.” (or something like that)

I read a little of Mark Twain’s “Capt. Stromfield’s Visit to Heaven.”  It is hilarious and even silly, but it is a human’s thinking of heaven.  In reality we cannot even imagine how it will be because it will not be earthly, and we can only think as a human.

Examples: The Capt. Wanted to know if he got a harp and wings. One of the folks who had been in heaven say 1000 years, laughed, oh yeah if you want ‘em you can get them, but we really use them only for special occasions. 

The Capt wondered why he had not seen Saint Peter. “Man are you in for a wait. The line is at least 50 years long.  He has to take a year off at times just to rest his hands.”

Now if you are in a hurry to meet the old boys, try Thomas’s line it is only 5 years long.”

Now that all seems funny and it is, but imagine how many folks who have gone on to a reward. I am sure things will not be as Twain wrote, but it only points out that we cannot understand heavenly things.

I remember reading John said in scripture he could not explain it, basically we don’t have the words or ability to understand UNEARTLY things.

 (And you only thought change was down here!)

That is my sermon for today and I am sticking to it.

Nite Shipslog

PS: We always appreciate you taking the time to stop by for a visit. If not down here I hope to see you up there, I will be the bald headed guy! ;-) 

 

 

3 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I once asked a priest whether in Heaven I would look as I am now, or as when I was younger perhaps. Because some friends will remember me when young at school, college and early work career, whereas others will recognise me now with a beard.

He replied, "Don't worry, people will recognise you all right!"

God bless, Jack.

Mevely317 said...

Oh Jack, you'd be surprised how often I've mulled this over. More and more often as I grow older. 
I did enjoy your cute witticisms and toons, Jack! All the same, it makes me a little sad when I read personal examples such as this one by Mark Twain.

Thanks for today's sermon!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Hopefully I'll be there to see you someday. I don't visit in this life, but I's like to think I will in heaven. Being reunited with loved ones would be a great experience.