Thursday, March 14, 2024

Ever have "THAT REAL SURPRISE?"

 

 

 A picture from the Past.

 Sorry I keep getting this message and Blogger, Google, or the devil won't let me post pictures. I am signed in and allow 3rd party cookiesGoogle logo

Sign in to your Google Account
You must sign in to access this content

For Today:

I have no idea what you think of people’s hair. I personally lived thru many ‘men’s fads’ of hair. The Military one, the Flat top and the duck’s tail, as the duck’s tail faded out it was combined with the flat top.  After retiring from the military I even let my hair go into the long hair style  for a short time.  The one thing I remember in the USN concerning hair was the hair of my friend Ron. He was a militant black guy. Once the USN allowed it, he grew an Afro.  We could talk race and people without anger or raising the hair on your neck, just talk. Once he looked at me and said, “Jack,  like all white guys, you think my hair feels like steel wool, don’t you?”

“Yeah, to be honest I have thought that!”

Pointing to his afro, “Here, feel my hair, it is soft as cotton, not that I am gonna pick any cotton mind you.”

 

Of course, in an office environment, I felt sorta weird and he could tell I was reluctant. “Go ahead, dude, you need an education!”,

Yep, I became educated that day,

Ron’s hair was soft as cotton and felt fragile, were my first feelings.

That was in GITMO Bay, I never saw Ron again, I hope he had a great life. We all can tell mixed race individuals at times.  Then I met Wayne Hodge.  He worked for me and did an outstanding job. It took a month or two but I finally got Wayne his own desk, until then he had been sharing with another sailor.

Once he got his desk set up, I passed and noticed he had pictures of a couple on his desk.  Later I asked him, “Hey Ron who’s in the pictures on your desk?”

He looked at me laughing, “You didn’t know I was Black, did you?”  He knew he was right!  We had a good laugh. Over the next two years he became a part of our family. Our sons still think the world of Wayne Hodge.

We have not been able to locate him, I would sure like to.

 

NiteShipslog

PS:  

Thanks AGAIN to you all for stopping by the Shipslog..

 

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I get that same Google message. It has even taken off some of my photos from my past blog entries. Makes me mad. I was looking for a new platform for blogging. I peeked at Wordpress but it was a little confusing to me.

LIsa

Chatty Crone said...

Don't get me started on computers - I wake up and they have automatically decided to change things I never asked them to change.

Your post makes me feel like those were the good ole days when we could just be ourselves...

Mevely317 said...

Well, I'd have had that same reaction to (touching) an afro. Who knew?
I always believed my computer defaulted to Google, but I guess not. Twice now it's asked me if I don't want to make Google my primary browser -- v. Edge. That sort of stuff's waaaay above my pay grade, lol.

PS - Sherry's most likely all over the hunt for Wayne, but just in case, I'd like to try a deep dive. If you'd like, you can send me an e-mail with more (PII) you remember about him. I love that sort of thing!