Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Food, meals...

Pic of the day:

The Corn Palace in Mitchel South Dakota.  The year 2004 the featured Lewis and Clark.  Every year they pick something special to feature.
 

For today:

One of my favorite meals is Chicken and dumplings.  Sherry is not a fan, so she never prepares it. Once while mama was at our house and bedfast Sherry was at work. I thought it was a great time to fix dumplings. 

I went to mama’s bed and ask how to start then I was back and forth after each step, The final step was stirring and moving them around as she said, ‘It must be slow and easy to keep some off the bottom.’

After a sorry looking pot, I went in to mama and said, “Mama, I have a thick soup!”

‘You stirred them too much son,’ she laughing said. I never tried again.  When we were in GITMO my workday ended before Sherry’s so we took times with supper. My meal was mostly meat loaf and canned veggies.

Now I share cooking with Sherry and I try to be the dishwasher at least 9 out of 10 times. Today she is doing pinto beans, salmon patties, cabbage and cornbreadI will get the cabbage core. I enjoy it with salt. Does anyone out there eat the cabbage core?

She does a great fish stew. I prefer oyster stew, she doesn’t; however, her stew comes so close to oyster stew I love it too.

Most of my cooking is in a slow cooker. I graduated from the pressure cooker, now the slow cooker is great. I do a good Beef Stew and chicken with rice. She isn’t crazy about rice from the Microwave, but tolerates it. Most of our meals for two last at least two days; at times 3. I like leftovers.  Neither of us likes to waste food.

Ma lists a lot of recipes with her blog they all sound good. AND I KNOW Myra likes HOT stuff. What is your go-to meal?  Is there one you use the most?

Nite Shipslog

PS:

God has allowed us to meet some of the best folk on the planet. In person and here on the net.  Thank you all for being here… and being YOU.

6 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Chicken is always a favourite, also beef and most meats. And fish and chips from the shop. Not so keen on shellfish.

God bless.

Glenda Hulbert said...

So do LOVE ALL of your posts and do so appreciate your great ideas ~ that are shared ~ and most of all, the memories we share. Wishing I could hear Sherry telling Jackie, Jr.
Don't eat so many of "Sister Conrad's chicken and dlin's, save some for Mark and all of the others gathered around....so miss the
"Good Ole Days" picnics in the Parks...Y'all hauling a** back to Kirksville as YOU had duties. Love you two, to the MOON!

Glenda Hulbert said...






















































































Again, typing in do do, and attempting to follow up with what ever will allow me to send this message...idk...been a loooong day my precious friends.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have made chicken and dumplings many times. The kids always loved it too! Thanks for the mention of recipes on my blog. Right now I'm not posting any recipes as I'm so busy getting ready to move. After the move I'll live with my daughter and she will be making most of the food, so maybe my recipe days are coming to a close, but they will always be available on my past blog posts. I'd say both you and Sherry are good cooks. A lot of men are, because they like to eat! In my opinion what we eat is very important, and my daughter cooks a lot like me, so her meals will be nutritious and delicious too!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

We use a slow cooker (what we call a "crock pot") at least once every couple weeks, usually for chicken. A batch of crock pot chicken will last 3-4 nights, using it in various recipes. Good stuff, economical, and very simple!

Lisa said...

I’ve been catching up on your posts. You got me at “Chicken and Dumplins” My mom makes some good ones and the closest I found to hers is Jacksons Cafeteria. I like em thick and doughy.
You have mentioned Sherrys Fish stew several times. I would love the recipe.

Catching up
Lisa