Sunday, March 31, 2024

Can you see it?

 Pic of the day:

 


I wanted to delete the top one, but as I have said, If I delete it I will lose it.  the top is our home actually a duplex titled as a condo  The other side is it in reverse.  You can see our RV behind.
Above is where we live in NC
  The lower is a single home exactly to the plan of the one above.  without a basement. They liked our home and wanted the same.  This was for Sherry's sister Lennie and her hubby Elmer.

For today:

Many years ago I read a quote of Michelangelo as he stood before a huge chunk of marble. As he stared at the marble a friend asks, “Michelangelo why are you looking at that marble so intently?”

“Oh, I’m sorry I did not notice I was staring, but I see an angel in there, I MUST assist his release!”

Some people cannot see a finished product until it is ‘out of the marble!’ I found the same in homes, as I built. Some buyers could see the finished product, before the painting, floor coverings etc.  Others could not see it until it was finished.

I mentioned Luke Vegas and smiled at Myra’s comment.  She remembered when Luke was in college and needed a place to live. Sherry & I converted a storage building to a one room efficiency for him.  He called it the ‘Dog House.’ Truthfully, he could not see the finished product, but loved it once it was finished.  I think he learned something. He worked and went to school but the boy actually saved $16000 dollars by his early 20s.

The Charlotte chapter of the Hell’s Angels was selling their Headquarters, a dump. I mean a real DUMP. But Luke saw a house, a home. He borrowed a little money and put that with his savings and bought it (abt $20k). I helped a little with the plumbing, but mostly with the help of his dad Mark, it is now a nice home on a big lot. It would sell in the 260k$ to $350k range.

Most of the time in the building business, I have been blessed with the knack of seeing what really fits on a particular lot. Or how a run down house would look with some small changes and a lot of work.

I always liked the big ‘A’ frame houses, but never saw the lot where it looked like it would fit, so I never built one.

Below is the type homes I built. I seldom went over 2,000 sq ft except for our own. I like the 1200sqft 3 BR 2BA houses, with a simple roof line.  They are not built anymore.


Below is the show off house during construction, I built for my brother and his wife for retirement:

WE are heading to that home at the top in a few days.  Not sure how long we will be there, Thanks for coming to our 'mobile' home here in FL for a visit.  Please come back. ;-)

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Thank you all for being here… and being YOU.

5 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You built some lovely houses, Jack. Yet another reason to be proud of your achievements. Thank you my friend.

God bless.

Mevely317 said...

Like my father, I always wanted to live in an A-frame home. That never happened (for either of us), but I'd still jump at the chance to stay in one sometime on vacation.

That flag 'pole' you designed is really clever! Our holder went kaput last year in one of Alabama's storms, so I waiting to find a tall fellow to come replace it.

PS - I like that quote by Michelangelo, but no. I'm not able to envision something from nothing.

yaya said...

It must be very satisfying to create something that will last a lifetime and longer. You should be very proud! I'm one that has to see the finished product. I get inspiration sometimes but not often! There's a new neighborhood here in our town called Arrow's Landing. It's all 3beds, 2bath ranch homes with attached garages and a nice yard. No basements. Many 55 and older have moved there but it's not exclusive for seniors. What's nice is they were given a 10 year hold on paying property taxes. That's big if you've moved here in your senior years and probably will never have to pay those taxes. My problem with them is the no basement. It would cut down on accumulating junk but we do live in tornado country! So I think we'll just stay put! Take care Jack!

happyone said...

The house we live in now Ken designed it. We lived in many different homes over the years and we tried to incorporate all the things we liked into this one house. A friend and builder from our church built it from Ken's plans. He did a great job and we love it here.
You've built some very nice homes!!!

Chatty Crone said...

You built some really nice things Jack - I would love to live in one right now!