Monday, March 25, 2024

What happens to our treasures?

 Pic of the day:

 

Jim Arp Pics from the Rock a Billy Hall of Fame.

 For today:

Everyone has heard the saying, “You Can’t take it with you!”  Said many times at the death of the wealthy.  I read about a man ( probably you have too), at death he ordered in his will that his money be placed in the casket with him.  The mortuary did as he said. The Funeral director noticed the deceased wife had the money under her arm as she was leaving the mortuary, he approached her about it. She asked him if her check had been good that she used to pay for his services?  He said ‘Of course madam.’  She said ‘I just left my husband a check for this box, is that okay?’  He stammered, yes mam!

True or false it makes a statement; YOU CANNOT TAKE IT WITH YOU!

That said and thinking of all the things and photos (prints, developed and in frames) my wife and I love and hoard. Pictures for as far back as 1900. What happens to it? Just the photos will take up many large boxes.  What good are they?  Most of the folks to which they would mean something, are GONE.

It is so sad about my neighbor, about my age,  Jim Arp. He is staying with a nephew now. Jim probably can still remember thousands of fans screaming and yelling at performances of his bands. They never introduced Elvis, but introduced some big names like Jerry Lee Lewis.  I looked in the window of his old house. It is falling in. 


(This is next door to our house!)

Scavengers have ravished the house. There are still thousands of cds, hundreds of those old long play albums but what hurt me was seeing on the floor a painting of a beautiful lady he was near finishing on the floor; broken and stepped on. He was a very good artist with at least one canvas he painted of Elvis and Hank Williams valued in the thousands. He donated it to one of those historical groups.

(Jim from  a movie with Barbara Wills)

I asked his nephew “How is old Jim doing?”

“He just won’t die!” He answered disgustingly. Jim was a friend, that sickened me. Jim never married and all left is some nephews and a niece.

 I keep wondering did Jim take time to make a will, I sure hope so…

On an ending note.  We all hope our 'stuff' will be used or help someone, if not we still want it respected and I hope the ones who must throw my stuff away will think of me with a smile and have some good memories, at the time, not a laugh!

 Nite Shipslog

PS:

Jim is in the Rock a Billy Hall of Fame along with the greats like Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, and Johnny Cash. Some of his stuff is on YOu Tube.


6 comments:

Susan Kane said...

I believe that the best inheritance is one of photos. When Mom died, my sister and I took them home. My ancestors had taken photos back to the late 1800s and up to 2000. Mom knew most of the people. Good stories that would have been lost are now my sources for writing. Keep the important photos.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I am having to get rid of everything here so I can move in with my daughter in Texas. I am taking only a few of my treasures with me. Thankfully too of my sons are saving keeping all the pictures that have been stored away here and one of them is storing many things that have memories for me. All I can take with me is a few of my clothes, just enough to get by with. Most of my furniture was sold at the moving sale we had and I'm hoping the people that bought it will enjoy it as much as I did. What is left here will be donated to the Disable American Veterans and I'm hoping it will help someone who needs household things. I don't have and never did have much money at all. So my kids are inheriting years of memories from me.

Chatty Crone said...

I don't know Jack - I have moved from a five bedroom house to an apartment. Now Goodwill and places like that would take things. Some relatives - but I find that my kids really didn't want much. Of course one has a full house, one is here with us still, one is in an apartment - but still what I thought were treasures are not to anyone else.
Even pictures are becoming obsolete. Kids don't have photo albums. They keep it all on the phone, even the ones who just got married didn't make a wedding album. We asked if they wanted one and they didn't really even know what one was.
I imagine all my stuff at Goodwill or trashed. Seriously.
Sandie

Susie said...

Jack, Long ago when my mother in law had to move, she took her treasures. It was not furnishings or clothes, shoes, pots or pans...she took her photo albums. My daughters asked me why not more. I said because when you are old all you have are memories and photos that mean anything to you. I still think I am right. I tell my girls, we spend years accumulating possessions and more years getting rid of them. So if you own the Hope Diamond, just go ahead and sell it, cause your kids sure don't want your stuff(junk)LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Mevely317 said...

Oh, this hurts my heart!
I don't know if the individuals responsible for trashing Jim's home were deliberately malicious or what, but I can't help drawing parallels to my mother's 'treasures.' Even the boxes of faded photographs in the hope chest of her parents and those gone before. I hate to say it, but my granddaughters could probably care less.

Glenda Hulbert said...


Again, a treasure, sending love and hugs from Okeechobe Lake, LOVE y'all forever and ever, AMEN