Wednesday, November 12, 2008

How do you say Thank you?


I had an incident happen that I will relate in a little while. But first, how are you at receiving gifts or compliments? We are givers, both Sherry and I. I like to give with no strings attached. I once gave a preacher I knew a gift. He said, “Thank you brother, the Lord will reward you for your thoughtfulness.”
My response was, “You are right Reverend, His reward to me is the smile on your face!”

This is no brag, just fact (as Will Sonnet would say!) but one year (when we were rich, LOL) we gave more money away than we made the year before. God has blessed us, we have worked hard and long, but hold this Biblical truth to be self evident, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”

I have also been given gifts. Don & Evelyn our friends and now neighbors, loaned the machine to transfer our VHS to DVD & furnished the DVD’s. They would not even let us replace the DVD’s. It is hard for me to know how to accept. I get in a quandary.

I have developed a habit of looking around in a restaurant for anyone in uniform. If I spot a uniform I pay their check if possible. I do appreciate young men and women who volunteer for our armed forces.

Shirl’s husband Jim (who served as a Lt. in the Army), made it a habit as he traveled to shake every military man’s hand he could, to thank him for his service. That habit even extended to me. It always embarrassed me because he had served his country also. So I always returned the compliment.

In all my years of service Jim was the only man who actually voiced that view. I never expected it, because I was doing what I wanted to do, serve this country. It was my dream from age four, so I was living my dream. I did not expect a thank you. But I think it is nice for folks to express it to other Vets and Service men and women. Women find it easier or are more thoughtful, this year I could add more ladies to that, right off the top there are Terri, Debbie, Betty and Glendy, so here is a thanks for the Thanks. “THANKS”. One note here; it was mentioned in a comment about my Sherry, she does deserve appreciation. Military wives and families experience more anxiety I think, than the troops themselves, my respect for them is VERY HIGH.

Now to what I alluded to at the beginning of this entry the following e-mail brought tears to my eyes, I could not read it to Grandma for crying (here I go again):

Hey Grandpa, I just thought I would send you an e-mail thanking you for your service to this country. I don't know if I have ever told you that before. I hope that you are having a good day today and that it is still warm in Florida. You have been an awesome grandpa, and I just wanted you to know that I appreciate what you chose to do with many years of your life, serving your country; even while you were raising children and being a husband, you chose to continue serving in the armed forces. I love you and grandma,

-Josh
(Josh is a Senior at UNCC, either the head of his class or close to it.)

Last year his Twin Stephen told us he was on the Dean’s list (Mars Hill College), I asked Josh if he made the Deans list, He said no Grandpa. (I immediately felt bad for asking), Then he sorta smiled and said I am on the Chancellors’ list. Since I know everything I congratulated him, and privately asked someone what is that?

What can I say? What a tribute.

Nite Shipslog

PS:
It is near impossible to type and cry at the same time.,,,,

I came back and can type now. I think I am normal (?LOL), but I just wanted to ask a question what have you received thanks for that made you uncomfortable

10 comments:

Paula said...

I think that is such a nice thing to pay the tab for someone with a uniform on. I think I'll suggest that to John next time we see someone in uniform, we could split it. Congrats to the twins.

shirl72 said...

I think that was so thoughtful of Josh to send
you that E-mail. Jim always thank the boys for their service and would pay for their meals. Most of our Cousins & Brothers served.
I think that is the least we can do when a
boy or girl is serving our Country.

Shirl

shirl72 said...

I think that was so thoughtful of Josh to send
you that E-mail. Jim always thank the boys for their service and would pay for their meals. Most of our Cousins & Brothers served.
I think that is the least we can do when a
boy or girl is serving our Country.

Shirl

shirl72 said...

I think it is wonderful for Josh to thank you
for serving our Country. Jim always thank all
men in uniform. He would pay for their meal.
A lot of our Cousins and Brothers served.
The Men and Women who served our Country deserve to be honored.

shirl72 said...

It old me it didn't post. It was wrong.
now you have four.
Shirl

Debbie said...

The email from your grandson is very touching. I'm sure my Dad felt the same as you yesterday when Terri called him to thank him for his service to our country.
In answer to your question I think I would have to say the morning my sister passed away my brother's each gave my sister and I a hug with tears streaming down their face they thanked us for taking care of her throughout her journey with cancer. We expected no thanks she was our sister too, to have the opportunity to be her caregiver is the most rewarding experience I've had in my lifetime. Each year on the Anniversary of her death a package arrives at our doors from our youngest brother. I lay my package on the table look at it and cry unable to open it for several hours. Yeah, it's hard to type with tears falling on your keyboard as they are mine right now, so I know how you feel.
Debbie

jun said...

Hey jack! bless your heart! a well deserved compliment from your grandson. and so perceptive of him to notice and then act on the knowledge of your sacrifice and those of Sherry as you served your country!
being an army wife and before that an air force wife nobody has to tell me what that entails for both the military member and the spouse.
i always thank anyone i see in adu's during reserve week ends. did you see those digital adu's yet? adu stands for all seasonal. and gottfried says they call the c rats MRE'S" meals ready to eat"
boy am i out of it ! lol

jun said...

oh i went on about the m ilitary and forgot to answer your question. lol
no body has thanked me for anything lately but i get embarrased when somebody thanks me . my sister who is better off financially than I am used to refuse any gift from me. i finally told her that it made me feel bad and even poorer than i am when she refused my efforts to give her a gift. from then on she has allowed me to be blessed with joy that comes from giving her something from my heart.people like you and Sherry know exactly how good that feels and no amount of money in the world can buy that feeling or anything close to it!

betty said...

how sweet of Josh to send you that email!! I bet that made your day/week/month!!!

so neat he and his brother are doing so great in school too!

betty

Terri said...

Awwww....so sweet of your grandson!!

I know that just made your day =)

Hugs
Terri