Thursday, November 13, 2008

Sherry & I miss the steak!

The entrance to the Wood Shed
Sonny & Collette at the Alamo, San Antonio. (Red Barn pic would not upload.)

Our needs are small and wants are also small (Sherry says mine are not). We live very simply on the road. Our stomach says Steak & Lobster! My pocketbook & cholesterol says beans, chicken and oats! I wonder about the wisdom and truth associated with red meat. I have two favorite steak houses over the years. One is in Stanley, NC called the ‘Woodshed’ the other in San Antonio, known as the 'Little Red Barn'. I don’t have a steak often but when we do I LOVE it. (LRB has a menu they bring to the table (2ft. by 4ft) even I can read, and the waitresses wear 44’s (pistols) so you don’t complain HA!)

It is very seldom we eat steak anymore. We eat beans twice a week and Sherry uses the left over beans to make Soy chili. I do love chicken fixed about any way. I seldom have my favorite , chicken and dumplings because of the bread, but I do eat it. That is one chicken meal that can disappoint you, it is according to how the dumplings are made and seasoned. Sherry fixes chicken a-la-king, I love it.
I have even started eating egg-beaters about as often as I eat eggs. We eat out for breakfast a couple times a week. I think I have figured out why I like to eat out, I love to sit across from my girl and just enjoy our conversation and think how wonderful she has been through the years.

We have become more alike in our thinking over the past 52+ years. I really try to make it up to her for the times I was away on deployment, Duty, TDY, TAD & schools. I know it is impossible, but I try. I think of how she had to go to the laundry mat and drag two boys with her. She had to take care of all the bills and the car. Once I left her to evict a lazy non-paying renter from our little rental house (she was living with the boys in our trailer. The renter was only behind 8 months). She had to pack the household goods, have them shipped to Cuba, keep enough clothes for her and the boys and drive the 250 miles to Norfolk, arrange to ship our car. Find a motel, get a taxi to the MAC terminal dragging two boys and bags. BUT SHE WAS BEAUTIFUL WHEN SHE STEPPED OFF THAT PLANE!!!


Maybe I will tell some more of her ADVENTURES later.
Thanks for coming this way,

Nite Shipslog
PS:
Some of the artists of the 60's are revising their hits with new lyrics to accommodate aging baby boomers.

They include:

Bobby Darin --- Splish, Splash, I Was Havin' a Flash.

Herman's Hermits --- Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Walker.

Ringo Starr --- I Get By With a Little Help From Depends.


The Bee Gees --- How Can You Mend a Broken Hip.

9 comments:

Heli gunner Tom said...

Yes, mate! "Live Simple-- Live Well." I don't tell many people, but over in Vietnam 68-70, I picked a garbage can for food [some potatoes' and when the other guys found out they picked them up and flung them far away. We were hungry all the time because we got up early to fly our helicopter mission and got home too late and the darn Mess Hall was closed!
Well, I have my Chrysler pension and some VA bread to live on now and I own my own house.
I feel that the LORD has blessed me.

Tom S
tschuckman@aol.com

shirl72 said...

Sherry is a real trooper. She has weather
the storm. She has been a wonderful sister-in-law. She can roof, mow, pack, clean and a good sweeper. She is there when needed and will help carry your load. Good Entry.

Shirl

Paula said...

First let me say I recieved your book today and the cover is beautiful. Now I read very slow 'cause I have too many irons in the fire. When I like a book I like to make it last not like people who want to finish it all at one time. Yes those boots are mine. I'll just go write about them. Please do write some more about Sherry. I admire women who can do what she did. I would have been scared to death.

Paula said...

I forgot to say something about The Little Red Barn. Most every Thursday night Mel and I would go for a steak. There was another steak house on the southside and we lived about equal in distance from the two. When we pulled up to the stop sign at the corner of our street Mel would say where do you want to go, Little Red Barn or Hungry Farmer. I would say it doesn't matter where ever you want to go. This conversation would go on until I would name one and then he would turn in the oppsite direction of the one I said. Use to make me sooo mad.

betty said...

oh do share more Sherry adventures with us (and of course your adventures!) a military wife is a gem!! they really have so much to do and they do it so well with moves, getting settled in, etc while their loved one is serving the country! you have a wonderful woman there Jack!

betty

jun said...

kudos to Sherry!
my friend Estela has several addresses people can use to send packages and moral support to the troops posted on her blog. They really need it at this time.I still remember how bleak Christmas was for the kids Dad when he was deployed.
I got treated to a buffet yesterday . it was their steak night. but i dont like rare steak and by the time it got well done it was too much for my teeth to handle. lol
so I had some roast beef that was so tender it flaked off with a fork instead. I like to order that and meatloaf when dining out because we dont get much red meat at home. lots of chicken and beans too but cant afford steaks or even beef stew meat anymore. speaking of which it is often cheaper to eat out nowadays! glad to hear you still enjoy stealing away for that special treat , eating out with your ladylove!

Anonymous said...

ok, Ringo Starr was funny! I eat a good steak every month or two. Eat a lot of chicken and not enough fish. But I have come back to my love of cooking and experiment a lot so I don't get bored. Making Hoppin John for dinner tonight! Black eyed peas with ham hocks. Lindie

Terri said...

I love steak and chicken too!

Awww I just loved this entry and how you express your feelings about Sherry...you do have a wonderful wife...and she has a wonderful husband! Can't wait to read more

Hugs
Terri

Debbie said...

Awwww..this is a sweet entry! It's nice when a man can see how much his wife loves him and appreciates it.
I love a good steak but haven't had one in a long time. I actually don't pay much attention to all these studies they do on the foods that aren't good for you. They always change their findings a few years down the road and tell ya that same food is good for ya now. The way I see it ya only live once, ya might as well enjoy a little something you like while here. Yeah, me and Gary are probably heart attacks waiting to happen. We do eat more chicken and pork than we do beef but I season the old fashioned way with bacon grease or lard cause it makes things taste so much better.
Debbie