Monday, November 3, 2008

Modern day Gypsies!

Yeah, we are gypsies. When we were younger my dad wanted some wagon wheels to put on either side of his sidewalk and driveway in NC. By 1961 it was hard to find wagon wheels in NC, but in Missouri where we were it was no problem. I loaded four on my one wheel trailer and we headed to NC to bring them to NC. On the way I pulled into my brother’s place of business in Shelby, NC. His wife looked out, saw the car and trailer, told everyone to be on their toes here comes a bunch of gypsies and they will steal is blind. Everybody got a laugh out of it, oh, I still like her all right. LOL. But the name has STUCK and that is what we have become, gypsies.
Even in this Motor Home we have some room for STUFF. It is mine much more than Sherry’s. To explain the Motor home, the storage below is called the basement. It is divided into six large compartments and two smaller ones. One area is taken up by batteries and electric chargers and inverters. We have 12v lights and I have added many 120v lights. There is an inverter that will change 12v to 120 volts that will run the microwave or coffee pot for a short time. We have a diesel generator that will run the whole house including two air conditioners when we do not have ‘Shore Power’(an electric outlet to plug into).
Another compartment is taken up with the Fresh water tank (50 gal), sink bathwater (aka grey water) and Sewer (50 gal)(aka black water). We have the rest of the basement to store STUFF. Tools, power and hand (I could build a house), wrenches (I could rebuild the engine and transmission). Books to read, Storage for the many flags, chairs and rugs. There are nails, assorted nuts, bolts and screws. Paint of different kinds. Canvas and acrylic paint for my other hobby. Fishing gear, camping gear and plumbing tools and supplies. Electrical tools, parts and supplies (I could wire a house). We have a rule but do not always abide by it. Something new comes in something old must go out.


When you have a basement or garage, somehow we fill them up with stuff, not much difference with the motor home, we still must have stuff, just not as much.
And yes, some of my stuff I have missed, but it is not the end of the world. The benefits we derive from this life style is worth the trade off. A couple years ago we went to our permanent storage trailer in the woods where we found mice damage to some of the furniture. But it did not get worse. Ths last time we went in we knew why, there were several VERY LARGE snake skins in various places, Sherry is not thrilled going back any more, wonder why?
Thanks for coming this way.
NIte Shipslog
PS:
"Smile, it's contagious"
Q. What do they call pastors in Germany ?
A. German Shepherds.

Q. Who was the greatest financier in the Bible?
A. Noah He was floating his stock while everyone else was in liquidation.

Q. What kind of motor vehicles are in the Bible?
A. Jehovah drove Adam and Eve out of the Garden in a Fury. David's Triumph was heard throughout the land. Also, probably a Honda, because the apostles were all in one Accord.

6 comments:

Paula said...

Wonder if our young renter would understand the joke about the German Shepards. I'm so glad you cleared that all up about your "stuff". I was beginning to think you and Sherry were a little abnormal not having any "stuff".

shirl72 said...

I wrote an comment and it would not let me
comment. It wiped it out. So now I can't remember what I said. May try again if my
mind returns from vacation.

Shirl

Sheila Y said...

I'm with Sherry, a few snake skins would be a deterrent for me too. Have you tried any strange or different foods in your travels? Take care, Sheila

Debbie said...

Sounds like you have most of the comforts of home and are prepared for most repairs that come up on your travels. Those snakes could have the furniture if it were me, I don't blame Sherry at all. I saw a dead snake on the road today I was hoping they had gone into hibernation, lol.
Debbie

betty said...

I'm enjoying these entries on how you got started, your set up etc. I'm with Sherry; I'd stay away from that storage place; its amazing what you can get used to not having, isn't it? sounds like you guys are doing just fine

betty

Terri said...

EEEKKKKK!!!! I hate snakes!

Hugs
Terri