Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cherokee Forest

Being here in Tennessee and relaxing a bit is fun. We have met with Fred &  Frances a couple times already. Fred looks good considering all the chemo treatments he has endured. We tried to settle on a date we would start our hike, it is now  around the first of September.

001

(Fred & Frances yesterday! This lady has a smile that would melt the hardest person!)

Yesterday, Will, Fred’s younger brother also met with us. Not sure, but I think he wants to go to keep an eye on Fred, you know, protect the older brother. He has never hiked or backpacked before. I think he can make it, but it will certainly be tough. But Sherry and I hiked a hundred miles the first time around, but we broke it up with a motel stay in the middle, we won’t have that opportunity.

So if we can put this together it should be a trick. I have no doubt we can do it, and have fun in the mean time. Will and Fred are going to do a couple 4 mile hikes to see how the packs work out.  Sherry and I are planning to do a few short hikes ourselves in Maine.

Today we met with George and Donna and also Donna's dad. We learned that Donna’s dad knew many of the same folk we know.  It is always fun to share stories. I served with George in the USAF in Biloxi, MS.  We both met Fred & Frances there.  George went on to Korea then one of the islands, where he met Sherry’s Brother.  Amazing how small the world is sometime.

We are home early, after a set-to with Verizon about our first bill with the smarter phones. The young girl ‘splained the excess charges were upgrades, etc. that were one time occurrences, the bill would settle to what it is supposed to be.

Anyway, we are here at the motor home, still do not have a consistent  signal for good phone or computer connection, but this view is priceless.

002

A beautiful meadow before the mountains start.003

And nestled at the end of the meadow you can see a nice mountain cabin, what a place.

Thanks for coming by the log.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

I thought I wanted a career. Turns out I just wanted paychecks.

****************************************************

image013

Looks like a load of 1946 possibly Plymouths.

13 comments:

shirl72 said...

You certainly have a beautiful,
peaceful view. Hope the hiking
goes well. Be careful and spray
repellent on thick so you want
get any bites. Good Luck

Paula said...

Laughing @ Shirl taking care of her brother. How nice.

Chatty Crone said...

Getting ready for the hike is a big deal - I think it is smart to check things out. And you have so many wonderful friends to meet with.
sandie

Dar said...

So good to see a recent photo of Fred and Frances too. He looks great, tell him that for me. God is so great. Also, so nice you are planning this hike together. Do take care, we find that we are not so young we thinks we is...lol but you guys and gals don't seem to age a day. Remember your toothbrush and some sunscreen.
MissYouBoth...from WI, where the air is getting thick with humidity again. Take it slow and take lots of pictures. Man, you'd think I were your Ma or somethin...
Have a great time without me.
BlessYourHearts

betty said...

What a pretty place to be camping; I love how green it is!! How fun to add another partner to your hiking adventures and to have a tentative date in mind! September will be here before you know it!!

betty

Louis la Vache said...

Yes, Jack - they are Plymouths or "Mayflowers" as we used to call them...My mother used to drive a '48 in that same body style; it was a navy blue one.

TARYTERRE said...

GORGEOUS view. Sounds like a wonderful visit with your friends. Fred and his wife make a handsome couple. I hear you about the phone bill. OURS is always high. I have had trouble accessing the internet all night. getting frustrated. taking forever.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's great you get to do some practice before the real thing. Carrying a pack and hiking is a lot different than without one. Best to check them out for sure. After all the planning the time is really getting close now. Hope your Thursday is a great one! Still Sunny and beautiful here...we may have some rain on the weekend.

Y said...

I look forward to reading about the adventure that you and Fred are planning. You really know how to live life to the fullest.

Helen said...

Love that view! I hope you two will be able to take that hike.

~mel said...

I can't wait to hear about this hike! Fred and Frances look amazing!!!!

Oh how I wish I was going with; but I don't think I could keep up to you ol' whipper snappers :)

Keep in touch! Love ya!!

Bookncoffee said...

The view is incredible. Love having you in Tennessee. No that is not the reason I left the state. lol

Anonymous said...

I could melt right into that green landscape.