Monday, July 9, 2012

The diesel is running

I sit here while the diesel engine warms up. It has a compressor that pumps up the air bags and raises the coach. It only takes a couple minutes. Mark came out with his dog MJ to have a cup of coffee and say good bye.

Today he expressed an interest in hiking the trail some to clear his mind.  Good idea, says I, but do you know what you are asking for?

 

It is funny how folks look at THE HIKE. I did. One of his statements was, I think I can walk 10 miles a day.  (Of course he can)  But there is a lot of mental pressure, When the pack gets heavy, you want to throw it away.  I have taken my pack off thrown it on the ground and said to Sherry, “We have done some stupid things, BUT THIS IS THE STUPIDEST THING WE HAVE EVER DONE!”

But then you pick up the pack and keep on going.

Well the coach is ready. All I have to do is hook up the van. I will see you guys later.  I plan to finish this this afternoon. 8 hours from now.

jj's family & Tenn 009

Today’s guide tools, the rear view camera where we watch the van so we know if we lost it or not, and the GPS.

jj's family & Tenn 012

The beautiful NC/ Tennessee Mountains.

jj's family & Tenn 019

(This week’s site)

Well it is now many hours later and we are in a lovely site near Benton, TN. All plans are subject to change, ours did. We pulled into the spot where 33 Campground ‘used to be’ it is gone. We need a campground we did not have a back up.

Finally located this one about 20 miles from where we stayed before. But it is a lovely site.

jj's family & Tenn 018

Remember all the signs on barns that read, “See Rock City or See Ruby Falls”?  They are still around. We also met with Fred & Frances for a little while today. Wonderful to see them again.

More tomorrow.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Why are you IN a movie, but you're ON TV?

**************************************************

Today on the road we passed a 56 Golden Hawk And a 55 Chevrolet Nomad on trailers  someone has found to restore.

But today we have here:

1936 Lanchester Straight Eight

This beauty, a 1936 Lanchester (UK) Thanks Rose

12 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I have seen See Rick City many times. Glad you made it to 'dock' for the night. Be careful and have fun! sandie

Paula said...

Those guide tools must really come in handy. Safe trip!

shirl72 said...

Hard to believe Belmont this morning Tennessee tonight. Hope you had a good trip. We will try
to keep the town going while you
are away..LOL

Ken Riches said...

Glad you found a new place...

betty said...

Seems like day one of this current adventure was a success in that you made it to where you wanted to be (at least in the general vicinity at least :) Good for flexibility to camp where you can for the night.

may tomorrow be just as great of a day!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

I hear what you're saying Jack about making that hike. About 8 years ago I was walking 8-10 miles a day, maybe more. You have to really pysch yourself up. LOVE that camera keeping an eye on your van. Glad you found a nice place to stay. ENJOY.

Bookncoffee said...

How exciting! Glad you found a new place to stay. And you are in or near my state! yay! I could not hike that far in one day I don't think. But one never knows what they can do. I've hiked 7 but...no back pack and that makes a huge difference.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is a beautiful campground. So glad you found one without traveling another 100 miles or so. Plans are always subject to change for sure. Hope your Tuesday is a terrific one!

Lucy said...

The best of luck on your travels. I know you both enjoy it so much. Do what you can now because you never know what the future holds. I am not a good traveler and envy those who are.

~mel said...

"I don't know where I'm going but I know I'm on my way!"

I had a t-shirt that once sported that saying ~ don't know why; but it reminds me of YOU Jack :)

LOVE YA!!! How nice that you were able to spend some time with Fred and Frances.

Anonymous said...

I think, there's something 'deeply honest' in walking.

Please have you all a wonderful Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures - the mountains are beautiful.
Maybe I could hike 10 miles, but I'd hate to think of how long it would take me to recover!

Safe travels!