Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Last Day!

I love positive sayings and quotes. I wish I had said:

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

OR

This is oldest you have ever been and the youngest you will ever be.

OR

Today is it, Tomorrow never comes (Ok I did say that!)

But today is also the last day around ‘homebase #1’ for a couple months, if things go well. There is always a little excitement in my SOUL anticipating a new adventure. This drive tomorrow will be a beautiful drive, much of it thru the mountains.

Memories will be generated in Nantahala Gorge.  The AT crosses the road at the Nantahala  Outfitters, and there is a small restaurant. We ate there a couple times hiking. Once Sherry got a ‘portebella Mushroom sandwich’, much touted on the trail as GREAT, but we do not remember it as great. Fortunately I did not order that. After a few days in the woods I wanted a BURGER! Ha!

Anyway the road travels beside  the Nantahala river, the only river I have ever ‘White Water’ rafted on. Sonny and I made that trip with our sons, Steve and Mark.  It was not addictive to us.

All is packed up. Still no decision on the stove I will cook on. I am disappointed it will take 2lbs of fuel for my light stove.  I have a stove that weighs less than an ounce and uses de-natured alcohol.  But if the fuel weighs 2+ lbs I am saving nothing.

Sherry bought me a one man tent, saving me 2 lbs.  I am lightening up.  Looking forward to talking hiking with Fred. If Fred cannot make the trip for any reason, it has been fun talking about it.

I will close this and head for church.

Change of layout.

Shipslog

PS: Today’s car:

Commer Caravan

The Commer Caravan (UK) looks like fun to me.

11 comments:

Bookncoffee said...

Excited for you and your trip. Have a great day and a lovely drive tomorrow!

Helen said...

Have a safe and fun trip. That van looks like maybe it is part camper.

Ken Riches said...

May the miles be fast and fun!

betty said...

That will be great if you can get a bit of hiking in with Fred. I'm sure it is always a give and take kind of thing when trying to figure out what to pack for hiking too with keeping things as light as you can without compromising on something you need.

We white water rafted one time with the kids; I think we would have enjoyed it more if there wasn't a thunder and lightening storm going on for the first part of the trip; we actually had to go over to an island part of the river and get out of the raft and take shelter under trees. I think that "dampened" our sense of wanting to do it again :)

Safe travels!!

betty

Rose said...

Have a safe and wonderful trip.

I'm looking forward to seeing some photos you will be taking along the way!

Hugs, Rose

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm excited for you! It sounds like a great time. I remember the boys when they were in scouts using some type of fuel tin to cook on???not sure at all what it was but they did a lot of backbacking. There packs always looked heavier than they were. They assured me it was not heavy. Sounds like a wonderful drive in the mountains. Take care and know I'm praying for a safe and enjoyable trip for you all.

TARYTERRE said...

GODSPEED on your journey. I wish you and Fred the best. Will Sherry be at base camp waiting? take care.

shirl72 said...

Well I guess it time to be ON THE ROAD AGAIN with Willie. Keep in touch and I will be upon your
return.

Paula said...

Good trip, I'm here late so thats all I'll say. Oh we had nine at Church today. Big crowd, huh?

Chatty Crone said...

Man I am so excited for you and Sherry. You go guys! sandie

Louis la Vache said...

hee hee....
There was a Commer like that knocking about The People's Republic of Berserkely a few years ago. «Louis» hasn't seen it in quite a while...