Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Shenandoah Valley

Leaving Tennessee yesterday morning I saw a giant guitar. So I tried to grab a pic.

Trip to Virginia 003Trip to Virginia 001

I only got a little thru the door. But yesterday was a great day to drive. We did hit a couple spots of rain. Then came Virginia.

Trip to Virginia 004

And lots of memories for us near here. We passed signs to Damascus. The AT goes right down thru town main street. It  is called the friendliest trail town and sponsors ‘Trail Days' every year. They open the town to hikers present and past. Many concessionaires set up and hawk backpacking supplies. Fun time we attended one.

Trip to Virginia 005Trip to Virginia 006

Not a painting, this is our couch (Agfhan by Mary Ann) and our road view.

Trip to Virginia 007

Today’s chauffeur and his view. below:

Trip to Virginia 008

Sherry relieved me a couple times.

Trip to Virginia 009

But the most beautiful part of the trip of course is the Shenandoah valley. Lush farm land and beautiful sights. Note the Mountains in the back ground. Everyone you see, we have climbed and hiked over, They are the Shenandoah's.

Trip to Virginia 010Trip to Virginia 011Trip to Virginia 012Trip to Virginia 013Trip to Virginia 014Trip to Virginia 015

Trip to Virginia 016

You are looking at an easy hike on that hog back mountain in the distance, once you were up you didn’t have to keep going up and down, you stayed high.

Trip to Virginia 017

My girl thought this was an interesting BK!

Trip to Virginia 018

I believe that says ‘ENDLESS CAVERNS’ on the side of the mountain, we hiked way, way above it.

Trip to Virginia 019Trip to Virginia 020

That is part of the Shenandoah Valley. I kept saying “Shane, Shane, come back Shane!!”

We crossed the Appalachian trail where we hiked under and over the interstate when we were younger, in our 60’s. I only got Sherry lost once the entire length of the Shenandoah's.  I got off on an animal trail, when I started crawling, I got the message she said, “Honey, don’t you think we should go back?”

So today, if you are reading this during the day, we are on the road to Gettysburg. We will pass thru a little of West Virginia, then into Pennsylvania. We plan to spend a couple weeks in PA. If you have ever been to any productions of Sight and Sound, near Lancaster, I am sure you enjoyed them. We hope to catch another one if something is going on that we have not seen.

Thanks for visiting the LOG.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Why is it that Doctors call what they do 'practice'?

*****************************************************

I did not see either of my favorite cars yesterday. As a matter of fact I saw no classics on the road. BUT here is today’s catch:

6767676789  bmw Isetta

The BMW Isetta, a beautiful little car with one door, one seat vehicle. Powered by a BMW Motorcycle engine. The front was a door. The steering wheel and dash pivoted out when opening the door.  Shirl had one of these she sold with her collection of Studs.

17 comments:

DD said...

Good morning Jack and sherry. Hey, I remember seeing that guitar, but don't remember exactly where it was. I love the mountains. We drove home through that area once from New York. I know you guys are having a good time...be safe. Love the pictures.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thanks for sharing the beautiful sights along the way on your travels. Wouldn't we all like to have a picture window like yours. I look out my window and see the street and the house across the street. I don't know if you are familiar with the song Shenandoah. It's an old folk song.. Shenandoah I long to see you... I always think of that when I hear about the Shenandoah valley. Have a safe trip today and hope you share some more sights along the way.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Safe travels my friends...!!
Enjoy

DD said...

Thanks for reminding me...is this a Peter Paul and Mary ...lol...Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

I hope you are having a good time and that you don't have to work hard to delete this tune from your head...haa.

Helen said...

Some beautiful country you two are traveling now. Wish I could see it in person. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Cher' Shots said...

Great capture of that giant guitar! It fit your window frame perfectly.
Wishing you safe travels my dear friends. If you ever find yourselves back in my neck of the woods, you best stop by.
'love & hugs from afar'

Rose said...

I feel like I'm traveling with my favorite couple! Great photos!

Huggggggggggggggggggs, Rose

Anonymous said...

beautiful countryside...love me some VA mountains!

Paula said...

Beautiful scenery,be safe.

Paula said...

Beautiful scenery,be safe.

shirl72 said...

Looks like a very peaceful drive.
You are moving right along.

Love the little Isetta ours was
a pale yellow. The motor if over
the right wheel. It always amazed
me the steering wheel can out
with the door then opened. It is
a neat car.

Shirl

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this nice journey to places else I would have never seen. Please have a safe road ahead and a good Wednesday.

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» enjoyed reading about this segment of your road trip.

That BMW Isetta is a far cry from the Bimmers of today!

Chatty Crone said...

It must be really cool to sit up that high and have that big window to look out of and see all the wonderful sites - thanks for sharing your trip with us. sandie

betty said...

Beautiful views you are sharing with us Jack and Sherry!! Neat too that you are putting down roots for a few weeks to enjoy the sights of PA! Good to hear too that Sherry relieved you for a bit with driving! I admire her, I know I said this before, but I admire her for driving that big rig of yours!!

betty

Fred Alton said...

Great post, Jack! My spirit wants to be traveling along with you - but have to get the CT Scan done first. See you in a few more weeks, I hope!!!

TARYTERRE said...

Shenandoah Valley is BEAUTIFUL. Love those shots of you in the driver's seat too. Used to spend alot of time in Gettysburg. ENJOY!