Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Never, Over Qualified!

I cannot remember when I did not hear that statement. A couple days ago we ate at the Waffle House, I even mentioned it in a blog entry. What I did not say was one of our great-nieces works there. She is good at what she does, she likes it. Most folks do not know that the girl waiting on them has a 4 yr degree and a teaching certificate, but would rather serve customers for half the pay.

I have a friend who graduated from Princeton, he had no problem working as a programmer or serving in the USN as an enlisted man.

I remember a man in the Navy who loved to direct traffic. He entertained as he did so. He was a fixture and everyone loved him. To direct traffic he had to be a Petty Officer 3rd class. So he refused promotion to PO2 because it would put him out of the position of directing traffic. The Navy felt he was not a fit role model and had planned to discharge him. I do not know what happened to him, but I went to the Old Man and reminded him, someone has to direct traffic, why not someone who loves the job and is happy?

I have a good friend who was certified to install the huge commercial incinerators he installed a few. But he dropped that job and took up raising chickens. He loved it, it also made him a fortune.

Once in a campground in either Northern California or Oregon, we set up our RV site, had a great fire and our neighbors dropped by, bringing their chairs (normal in RV parks). Somehow the subject of kids came up (Also normal in RV Parks). “Our daughter is now a waitress, she loves the job.”

I said, “That is great, everyone should love what they do in this life.”

Man said, “Oh I do agree, but it would have been nice had she learned that before we paid for her education up to the Master’s degree.”

Sometimes it is hard to know what you want. It took me until I was 40 yrs old to know what I really wanted to do.

Many ‘ignorant’ personelmen have lost great hires, by turning down someone whom they listed as: ‘over qualified’.

Thanks for coming this way.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

For fast-acting relief, try slowing down.

     Lily Tomlin

**********************************************************

55-Chevy-BelAir-DV_11-GG-0011_thumb1

I cannot help myself, This is my first love. The first year Chevy put the V8 in and the year I got my driver’s License. The 1955 Chevy. I finally got a 4 DR 6 cylinder for $50. But I wanted the convertible.

100_1290

If you saw Louis’s blog, http://bayphoto.blogspot.com/

he covered the details of this Packard, “The Predictor”, we took this picture in the Studebaker Museum in South Bend, IN.

9 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Love that tail end on the museum car. LOL I was BORN to write. I will do it until the day I die. My hubby tried all kinds of things. But the thing he loved most he doesn't do anymore. He LOVES to fly. He was a flight instructor and pilot way back when. You are right, jack. gotta do what makes you happy, though sometimes necessity gets in the way. HAPPY 4th. take care.

Paula said...

I always felt a little guilty because I didn't aspire to be anything but a house wife. When Mel wanted to buy rent property I didn't really want it but finally agreed then I was a landlady. I got real good at using a putty knife to scrape grease under the burners of stoves. lol

Chatty Crone said...

I have told and retold this to my husband for so many years - and he doesn't listen. Slow down - he's in a hurry and he doesn't know why.

Anyhow Happy 4th.

And it is wonderful to find out what you really and truly want to do and then be able to do it.

sandie

Anonymous said...

Yesterday our son said, that he wants to have a small shop with clothes once being grown up.
Until then he probably speaks four languages and has finished his childhood 'under two teachers as parents', guess that does qualify him.

Please have you all a good Wednesday.

DD said...

I knew what I wanted to be from early on...the best Mom I could be and I did that. I was most successful! If one fails in that job all is lost, or nearly.

Have a happy holiday.

shirl72 said...

I was an underwriter for an Insurance Co. got bored with that
went to work for 2 "Optometrist" Doctors. Didn't want to do that
went back got my old job. The Company merged with a Co. in
Atlanta didn't want to move there.
Started working for another Co.
One girl Office as Secretary 7 Reps. and a Boss. Retired after 16years.

I did have a PT fun job with American Greetings.

As you said we have to try different jobs to see which one
we like. I like Retirement the best.

betty said...

this was a good one Jack. Hubby gets that a lot these days in looking for a job. All he wants is something "simple" that is less stress than he used to have; he doesn't want to run departments any more but people look at his resume and automatically think "over qualified" so he doesn't even get a chance for an interview.

Good thoughts you shared today!

Happy a safe and happy fourth!

betty

Ken Riches said...

Sometimes it is a twisted path that leads to a job you are good at and that you like. I am currently coaching and mentoring other Project Managers, and without the twisted road I could not be nearly as effective as I hope I am. I have reviewed a lot of resumes lately and try not to judge, after all, experience is what is needed at this point.

Louis la Vache said...

The '55, '56 and '57 Chevys remain (in «Louis'» opinion) symbolic of the height of GM's prowess as auto builders. Along the way, GM and all the other automakers made the mistake of caving to the UAW's craven demands for wages and benefits. That aside, the beginning of the long, sad decline of GM can be traced to the decision in 1959 to hand the reins of power in the company to the financial staff, taking the reins from "the car guys". It was the financial staff that gave us the horrible cookie-cutter cars from GM in the '70s - late '90s. The cars lost their individuality - and their soul. As a result, GM fell from having more than 50% market share to the less than 20% they have today... That '55 Bel-Air convertible you show has one of the great color combinations of the mid-'50s that showed the optimism, confidence and exuberance of the time.

«Louis» is happy to know that you've been able to see the Packard Predictor. He saw it when he was 9 years old. It is a fabulous car and showed where Packard would have taken the industry had Packard not fallen to the forces that caused its closure....
«Louis'» post about the Predictor is HERE .