Wednesday, July 18, 2012

On Northward to Pennsylvania

Yesterday we  started off pretty early. We stopped to get fuel in Winchester, Virginia, this is the lowest we will find fuel from this point on.

While at the Pilot/Flying J, a man from Quebec asked questions about the tow van.  Many folk do not know the Odyssey (pre 2005) can be towed four wheels down without damaging the vehicle. Lot of folk do not know most vehicles will be permanently damaged if towed.

Pennsylvania1 001

I remembered West Virginia (I missed their ‘Wild and Wonderful sign’), but I had forgotten the small part of Maryland.

Pennsylvania1 006

Then the beautiful state of Pennsylvania.  We hiked about 230 miles thru PA, some rough hills BUT great walks thru pastures and corn fields.  Of course that was an easy hike after the 550 miles in Virginia.

Pennsylvania1 008Pennsylvania1 009

(I love these huge corn fields)

Pennsylvania1 019

We passed a sign ‘Pine Grove Furnace’ State park. Brought back a lot of memories. It is the halfway mark on the AT. It is the half way mark it is traditional that each hiker eat a 1/2 gallon of ice cream, flavor your choice.   LOL (No we didn’t keep the tradition, we had a cone!)

Pennsylvania1 010

I am a Southern American. Just the name Gettysburg causes me some painful thoughts. Brother against Brother, Family against Family.  One of the sad parts on the AT in NC, are the graves of some Southern Boys who went North to fight for the Union. They were trying to get home for Christmas to see their family when they were ambushed and killed because they were ‘traitors’.

Pennsylvania1 011Pennsylvania1 012Pennsylvania1 014Pennsylvania1 015

Driving thru the battlefield I knew Thousands died here. As a matter of record :

Union

Killed ..3,155,  wounded..14,529,Total ..17,684

Confederate

Killed..3,500, Wounded..15,250, Total ..18,750

6,655 killed and a total of 10,000 missing on both sides.(In 4 days, July 1-4, 1863)

What a terrible time in American history.  Hard headed politicians (as usual) sending men to fight and die.  Some wars cannot be avoided, this one could have been.

Pennsylvania1 016

Above and below is downtown Gettysburg.

Pennsylvania1 017

Heading to our park, guess where we went? West Berlin.(LOL) nah, not Robert’s homeland, but BEAUTIFUL Dutch country in Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania1 021

Pennsylvania1 020

We are settled near Dover at “Gettysburg Farm”. A very beautiful place. But only here for 3 days.

Thanks for coming this way.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Why is the man who Invests folk’s money called a broker?

****************************************************

1917_Model_T_Depot_Hack-dec10a

1919 model A woody taxi or hack.

The only classic I saw today was one of the above. It was on a trailer going South, I did not have time for a picture. But someone has a jewel.

12 comments:

Paula said...

Oh my goodness Sherry even has a plant in her picture window. Its late gotta get to bed and see if Mr. Sandman comes.

betty said...

I don't know, if I had hiked that much of the AT trail, I think when I got to the halfway point I would have gone for the 1/2 gallon of ice cream; you guys had great self control to settle just for a cone :)

so pretty back there! Lots of history there too! enjoy your time in Gettysburg!

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

All wars could be avoided as far as I'm concerned. People always have the chance to work things out peacefully. I enjoyed seeing the sights anyway. Hope you get some rest in your 3 day stay there.

shirl72 said...

Beautiful country side views. Hope you have cooler weather than us.
It is in the 90's. Maybe cool by
the week-end.

I guess you are still singing
"ON THE ROAD AGAIN".

Shirl

Lucy said...

I love your travel pictures. I get to travel that route. I still could not travel like you 2 do but I applaud you for having the stanima to do it.

Lucy said...

I love your travel pictures. I get to travel that route. I still could not travel like you 2 do but I applaud you for having the stanima to do it.

Anonymous said...

And it even writes 'East Berlin' - miss traveling much. Thank you for this wonderful journey and these great impressions. Please have you all a good Thursday and a safe road ahead.

Fred Alton said...

What a great way to spend time...on the road again...so you can walk the trail again! Wil and I went to the Hiking store today. We bought a few things but we spent most of the time just lookin'. I picked up a "spork", another book on the trail, and a pair of shorts guaranteed for six weeks! Haha. ☻

Ken Riches said...

Have not done much of the Civil War spots, but may some day in the future.

TARYTERRE said...

Used to be close to someone who did Civil War reenactments. Spent many hours in Gettysburg, Winchester, Harpers Ferry, etc. Wars are hell, no doubt about it. But history is what shapes us. Hopefully lessons were learned. ENJOY your stay. take care.

Bookncoffee said...

Have fun in PA. Love the corn fields. Did you have corn for dinner? lol I saw there were some pretty heft storms there in PA yesterday. Hope you all did not have to endure that. Had some pretty bad hail.

Chatty Crone said...

Here in GA - we spent a lot of time of the Civil War - the kids have big units on it. And Stone Mountain - is all about it. Have fun on your trip. sandie