Monday, July 23, 2012

Sight and Sound Theater.

We are in Lancaster county near Lancaster. Most folk recognize the name as a destination point to see the Amish and Mennonite country first hand.  It is by no means the only place, but this area draws huge crowds.

For the Bible minded there is a full scale model of the Old Testament Tabernacle. The Mennonite Church host’s it.  The Mennonite Center gives a history of the Mennonite and Amish religions. Very interesting. Lots of Amish cooking advertised. I like the style of cooking but it is pricey and doesn’t taste any better than good home cooking. (BUT YOU DON’T HAVE TO COOK).  Many of the restaurants serve the food family style, and you usually eat with total strangers, not always bad.

The Amish farms are all so neat, and I love the horse and buggy transportation. You can actually hire an Amish/Mennonite person to travel with you in your car/van and describe the sites and highlights. Of course there are the number of Tourist traps that accompany a destination.

Sherry and I are normally not your average tourists. The most of the time we enjoy the natural sites. Such as driving the back roads ooo’in and aaaaahing at the farms, animals and crops. ONCE in a while stopping at an Amish stand and buying a ‘Shoo Fly Pie’ or the like.

One of the big entertaining spots here is the ‘Sight and Sound Theater’.  We were here years ago to see a play and I became fascinated. I had never seen a big production ‘anything’. Our experience was the great outdoor dramas: ‘Horn in the West’, ‘Unto these Hills’, ‘Trail of Tears’, ‘Okalahoma’, Hatfields and McCoys and the Lost Colony just after Andy Griffith left the production.

So seeing an indoor play big enough to have live horses, elephants and the like, was SOMETHING to me. I am interested to see how they deal with Jonah and the Whale. As I mentioned we usually take advantage of God’s Shows in Nature. We seldom pay to go to a ‘Show’. I told Sandie I was not a cheap skate, but corrected that, maybe I am. The price per ticket now is $50.  The Millennium Theater seats 2000 people. they do 10 shows a week. They were sold out until the 2nd of August. SO, Yes, we will go, along with thousands of other folks. But that will be out entertainment until I see those Lobsters brought to my table, 4 for $30, up in Kennebunk LOL.

We will do a report on Jonah after the show.

Thanks for coming this way.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what is baby oil made from? (don’t answer)

******************************************************************

sheilas car

I call this Sheila’s car. She sent me this from the triad area of NC. I haven’t been able to nail it down. It is circa 1936. Maybe a Lincoln?  I don’t know what it is but I like it.

hudson terreplane

This is a Hudson Terreplane it is close.

9 comments:

jack69 said...

I am so sorry, I meant to mention how great it is to have Jean back aboard, she is one tough cookie!! Love ya Jean!! Sheila you done good with mom, she will miss you of course.

betty said...

I too am curious about how they will do the whale with Jonah; I look forward to your review. I have to say if I'm in that area of Pennsylvania, I would be fascinated to have an Amish person accompany me on a tour; it would be fascinating to hear things from their perspective.

(thanks for your kind words about hubby's/brother's song; so glad you/Sherry enjoyed it and you could hear it Jack :)

betty

Louis la Vache said...

Jack,
The first car is a Packard.
;-)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I hope that show is spectacular at that price. I'm sitting here watching a squirrel raid our bird feeder this morning. In all the years of camping, this is the first time I've seen one climb up the tree and do that. It's an overcast day and we may get some rain later. Not complaining about that though. Hope your Monday is a great one!

Glenda said...

Look forward to the Jonah report and hoping you can take photos! Sounds
like a wonderful presentation...have fun :)

shirl72 said...

Remember Dick had one of those
Hudsons and I have been trying to
remember the name until you showed one. I remember going somewhere
and it stalled at a stoplight.

Hope you enjoy the play.

Shirl

Chatty Crone said...

Okay that is one vacation I definitely wish I could go on. That interests me a lot. Thanks to you I can see a little of it. sandie

TARYTERRE said...

Lancaster is a beautiful area. We have alot of Mennonites where we live. And on the way to the next state over we pass quite a few Amish houses. I always worry about them out on the road, on bicyles and horse and buggy's with BIG semi's passing at lightening speeds. WOW $50 a ticket is expensive.But you're right lobster is cheap up north. ENJOY. Take care.

Lucy said...

I would not answer that baby oil question at all.I am so happy to hear Jean is back on board. I bet Sheila and the girls are glad to be home. GOOD JOB, Sheila. Mennonite's were very strong in one small town where Marty's dad and I lived. Not as strict.