Saturday, April 27, 2024

Don’t do that, DON’T SAY THAT!

 Pic of the day:

 Sister Shirley and me delivering my brother Odis's pride, a 9 ft. model of the USS North Carolina to the USS North Carolina Memorial in Wilmington, NC after his death. His family made the donation.  The real ship is in the back ground.


For today:

Countries of the world have different views of life and requirements to ‘fit-in or get along.’  I am told that a deep BURP is considered a complement to the cooking in oriental countries!

I am also told that cats and dogs are considered good human food in many areas.  I remember reading that many native Americans considered mules great food, even above the deer.

Aboard ship when we entered a foreign port in many cases we were advised of things NOT to do.  I believe it was Turkey, we were told it was VERY rude to show your feet or the soles of your shoes.

Once my BIL met arriving missionaries from South Africa in NYC. In the process of taking them to their hotel, he was telling about his youngest son….  "That little booger will slip away from you if I don’t watch it."



He was interrupted immediately by the leading missionary. “Please my brother, do not use that filthy word in our presence!” My BIL kept driving and he explained that booger or little booger in our family was considered affectionate and common in our language. Dick (BIL) said within a mile one of the missionaries commented loudly on a young lady who nearly stepped in front of the car. “Did you see that bitch; she nearly go herself run over.”

Dick said it was then his time to comment. “Bitch is not considered a good description of a young lady in the USA!”

Growing up we used many nick names that today would be offensive. There was Shorty Robinson, Crip Goodson, Badeye Thomas, Poot Daniels and our Belmont Funeral Director always called Fat Robinson.

BTW Boogering in some countries is an unnatural sex act between men.

Do you know common words that are offensive in another part of the country, or world? Maybe nick names?

Nite Shipslog

PS:  

Thank you all for being here… and being YOU.  

8 comments:

Susan Kane said...

Nick names? I know there were some my brothers batted around, but none worth anything. Booger That would have been great 15 years ago when my gr-daughters were still little. They would have loved it.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I can't get my head round people eating snails. But then, here in the UK we eat cockles and mussels - aren't they like snails? Some people eat frogs' legs; and we in the UK have fish pies with the heads and tails of the fish poking out of the pastry.

Personally, I like fish and chips and Guinness.

God bless.

Mevely317 said...

Good ones, Jack! I'd no idea ... and now wonder why travel agents, tour guides and the like don't caution American tourists about these sorts of things.

Nicknames? As a child, my father was called "Shrimpie" because of his size -- but in the retelling didn't seem particularly bothered by it. Sure, I've used nicknames for some people -- but never to their face. LOL.

Mevely317 said...

Otis' ship is exquisite! I love this angle/juxtaposition in this photograph.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

IT'S amazing how we can all speak English and still cannot understand each other , We definitely need a guide book when traveling. One thing or two that I know, when traveling, is that a little kindness and a smile is everything!

Susie said...

A friend of mine used to call the catholic priest F.B. I thought it meant Father Bovaeu, which was his name. Then the friend said, "No it's for, Fat Boy, haven't you seen the priest lately?" Yikes, mean. Love the picture of the ships. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Chatty Crone said...

Believe it or not my mind is blank for this - but wanted to say hello.

Anonymous said...

Is the model ship still on display?