Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Our Trip, Rivers and Stinking Creek

 Pic of the day:

 Grandpa Wiley, jack Jr, and Mark our sons and Sherry's dad.

Wiley passed long ago, and those boys are now in the Social Security age group...

For today From Peru, Indiana

This trip had good roads and very good traffic. It is a strange thing, we saw our last traffic light in Shelby, NC; on thru Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana until just above Indianapolis, hundreds of miles of interstate without a traffic light. The light was on US31. We saw Gas Prices from $3.25, $3.45, $3.57 the highest was saw was $3.87.

The views, as I have said, are fantastic. The flat farm lands of Indiana allows you to see thousands of acres. I have told anyone who asked, I would rather drive this motor home than a car. You can see over bridges to the beautiful rivers. 

Bridge over the Ohio River, from the net.

I mentioned no Blue Grass, as we drove into Indiana we saw the White Water River. (the water was not white). LOL We crossed many nice rivers, the French Broad River. Green River, The Ohio River, the Silver River to name a few. And there was in Kentucky, Stinking Creek!  When I was a little boy many towns down south had a creek known as "Sh-T Creek."  All the town waste was dumped there.  I just wondered as I drove over it  was This the same.....??   ;-)


                Wasn't he a beauty?

I re-told Sherry of my first trip to Kentucky. I was less than 10 yrs old and went with Dad to a convention in Indianapolis. I knew nothing about horse racing, but I had read a book that featured ‘Man ‘O War’, he became MY HORSE. He lived in Kentucky and raced there. His name was on some signs, and it thrilled me. Later they buried Man ‘O War in Lexington, KY.  Sherry and I later visited his grave there.


Downtown Indianapolis from the net, I don't believe it was this showy in 1948/ LOL

Of course, I did not attend the daytime convention stuff but wandered over the city with some other preacher’s boys. The thing I remember most was DOWNTOWN and a sort of a picnic area and a square. We all had popcorn I was feeding some pigeons When a man walked out a door under one of the giant statues with a broom. He threw the broom at the birds and yelled, “We are trying to get rid of them D---ed things and there you are feeding them, STOP it!"

Tomorrow we should be parked near Buchanan, Michigan. The name of the park is “Bear Cave Resort”, we have stayed there when on trips in this area.

We are getting closer to answers to the strange things here in the coach, a faulty slide-out and the 4 jacks, of which one works.

Thanks for seeing us here in Indiana….

 Nite Shipslog

PS:  

Thank you all for being here…  Smile life is better (on the road)….

4 comments:

Mevely317 said...

On the road again, just can't wait to get on the road again! I can practically hear your smile in these words.

Unless time is a big issue, I don't know why anyone would elect to fly and miss all the vistas you mention. Being a 'horse crazy' girl, I can imagine the thrill of visiting Lexington.

Hope you're much closer to finding some answers to the coach!

Chatty Crone said...

I was born in Chicago - but the rest of my family were from Indianapolis - so I have been there a lot. It is the best place in the mid west - I think. Lots of good people. Lots of beautiful land. Memories.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Wonderful photos and memories. I haven't seen gas prices that low in CA in a very long time!!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

It must be amazing driving from one place to another and seeing the sites. How wonderful for you. Enjoy your holiday my friends. And I hope you soon resolve the problem with coach.

God bless.