Friday, April 19, 2024

Looking back with a smile…..

 Pic from back then:

My girl's graduation picture.  Yeah, she did take a chance and married a drop out.

For today:

I am sure y’all cannot tell that I have been down for a long time. BUT LAST NIGHT!!!!

There she was, just got into bed, not saying what, dressed or not dressed, Just beautiful. I held her tight and said:

Good night Sweetheart…..

Then she did something that took me back to dating 1955-56. She began to sing:

Goodnight, sweetheart
Well, it's time to go

(and I joined in)


Goodnight, sweetheart
Well, it's time to go
I hate to leave you, but I really must say
Goodnight, sweetheart, goodnight

Before I got a car, we would be on her front porch at 129 Hawthorne street, and we would sing that together. After one last kiss I would float home on cloud nine, past two cotton mills, two churches and some houses to 315 Church street.  It was only close to a mile home, but my feet hardly touched the ground.

Anyway my spirits are lifted it pays to think how blessed you are, my blessings are much worse than the problems.  I just forget in selfpity sometimes.

Today, enjoying the spring weather, we talked about that as we were swinging in the picnic area as we enjoyed an unneeded fire, just talking.  I am the luckiest guy in the world, hey at 86 years of age she is still the most beautiful and sweetest girl in the world.

 (I was a sailor here, we had been married a few years and her legs were the best!!

And yes, she still has those beautiful legs and.. …   ..

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Thank you all for being here… and being YOU.  

 

5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Good memory for sure! You are so blessed to have the love you life on the journey.! I think you two were meant to be ! Glad you are feeling up again. Down is a hard place to be. Here's hoping you have more and more of those uplifting days!

Chatty Crone said...

Jack you are blessed to have so many wonderful years together - a lot of people don't. I think I kind of feel like you - don't know what I will do without Rick. We will be married 50 years next month and I don't remember a life without him.
I hope you can stay up. :)

Mevely317 said...

Love is the BEST medicine ever! I'm so glad y'all found each other. Keep singing!

happyone said...

What a lovely memory. Nothing like counting your blessings to put you in a better mood. :)

Susie said...

Jack, I always love to see the pictures. You and Sherry are blessed to have each other. I like the idea of you singing together. Hold each other tight. May God bless you both. xoxo, Susie