Monday, August 28, 2023

I'm Old enough

The 1903 Ford was new when my Dad was born
 Below this 1939 Chevy pick up was new when I was born, cost about $550.
 



But right now I am on the down side of 84 and this is a 2023 Ford sales for ,$63,000


For NOW:

I am old enough that I can still remember working for 50 cents an hour. I saw gas as low as 13 cents a gallon once but the owner sold it for just the taxes during what we called 'GAS WARS'.  The price of gas was normally at 29 cents  but gas wars took it down to 17-21 cents a gallon.

A candy bar was a nickel while the Mars Bar, Mound and Almond Joy was ten cents.

Movies on Saturday morning for those great Cowboy movies was 9 or 10 cents. and you could sit in there all day if you wanted and see it over and over again.

I could enjoy a Pepsi and a pack of crackers or tater chips for a dime total.

I am back at my desk still trying to type on this laptop and hit only the keys I am supposed to, but I still hit the one beside it too.

Guess what I just ran into in a drawer, a roll of typewriter ribbon, some flash bulbs and a stack of 'flash cubes, remember them I do.

Remember the Polaroid?  The instant picture.  I read on Victor's blog that he remembered sending film off to be developed and wondering how many came out.  I remember that..

Life passes fast, but only when you are looking back. When I was in Boot Camp, I thought life was very slow.  When I was away from my girl on a Cruise to the North Atlantic or the Mediterranean, life went slow....

But now that I am Old enough to realize we all have 24 hours in every day.  We have the same amount of time every one else does.

Humans as a whole want to live to see tomorrow, if it would ever get here. HOWEVER life gets tedious during ailments. I know people who actually did get weary with life.  To the point they said, "No more meds, no more trips to the Dr. just let me go on my terms!"  Sherry's brother said just that.

I am old enough to understand that now.  I go for my Blood work to be taken in the AM.  I really expect nothing out of the ordinary.  I am puzzled at my condition, but I do not hurt. I do not have pain.  I tried to explain it to my sweetheart, "I feel like I am at the bottom of the barrel, with no desire to move up. Again my mama's statement comes to mind, 'I feel so unnecessary!' I know that sounds terrible, but it isn't.  I still get done what MUST be done but there is not a lot of joy in it."

 Sorry I can’t put it better, but I think I will come out of this funk one day.

 Nite Shipslog


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry you are feeling in a funk. As mere mortals, it happens to all of us from time to time. It is not a good feeling. I hope you are feeling more like your happy, cheerful self soon.

Lisa said...

Pour it out Jack. It don’t sound bad, it sounds normal. We all get in a funk sometimes. It’s how we handle it that matters.
Looking back at inventions over the years, just look how fast things have changed in the past 30 years. Just 30 years ago, we didn’t have the smart phones, wireless internet, social media or wifi. Yes, we had to send film off for development. We would get double prints just so we could share the good ones. Sometimes you would even get a couple of someone elses pictures.

Praying for you
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm a little younger than you but I worked for$. 25 per hour and remember gas baing $.23 cents a gallon. We didn't make much then, but could afford what was needed like gas to run the car. It's all relative, no people make more and spend more too. Take Care Jack , you still do more than most people I know.

Mevely317 said...

Like "someone let all the air out of me"? Tom and I take turns saying that to one another.
I'm hoping and praying this is just a temporary funk you're feeling -- a side effect of all the stress, perhaps.

Please don't spend much time at the bottom of that barrel. There's many of us who still depend on your written word to learn from and brighten our days.

Susie said...

Tell everything you know, to as many who will listen. I wish I had ask my parents more about their youth and how the world was. Hold your sweetheart, call your kids, grands ,and all. You need some good ole boy visits. Sending hugs to you and Sherry. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Glenda Hulbert said...

This is a Wonderful post, enjoy your latest plan!!! LOVE AND HUGS, Glenda ////////////BTW, the email is still glendahulbert@gmail. Kind of a mistake that I cannot seem to delete, duh, haha!!!