Friday, August 25, 2023

Lifers

  Car of the day:

 1928 Chevrolet, Brand new when Ralph was born...


So for today:

In the military those who decide to make it a career are referred to as ‘Lifers.’  I am the only LIFER on my side of the family.  Sherry had a brother and first cousin who made a career of the military.

Sgt Vernon Gomez Harris, Sherry’s Brother retired from the Army.  He passed away three years ago at 87.  We just learned that her longest living cousin, Ralph Hawes, just passed away, he retired from the USAF.  Ralph was 95.  He lived in South Georgia. He kept in contact with Sherry by phone. His last call was a couple weeks back and he sounded great.

Life is at best unpredictable.  We like to think if we are in good health we are gonna stick around ‘forever’ or at least until tomorrow or next week. Since tomorrow never comes, we tend to think we will be around a long time.

I have mentioned many times there was a Bar on Stock Island (in the Florida Keys) that had a permanent sign painted on the wall, “FREE BEER TOMORROW!” 

I never stopped there but I think I smiled every time I read that sign.

Rest in Peace Chief Master Sergent Ralph Hawes, you will be missed by your wife and sons and the rest of us the extended.

Both these men were decorated Heroes to their family and to the military.

 

Nite Shipslog

6 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Those who wear this uniform are all heroes in my book -- some, more so than others.

Poignant reminder, what if tomorrow never comes. I'm not so fond of Garth Brooks, but that song is a treasure. Maybe it's best to expect the Unexpected? I dunno ....

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Sorry you lots a good friend he was truly a hero/! I value any man or worman who serve in the Military!

yaya said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and I think that even though he lived a long, service oriented, full life, that it's never long enough. Time goes so fast that we really need to not put off what we want to do and even if it doesn't turn out completely like we wanted, at least we didn't waste the day! Hugs to you and Sherry and your family at this time of grief.

Lisa said...

Today will be yesterday tomorrow….If tomorrow ever comes.

Hot in SC
Lisa

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Please accept our sincerest condolences. Praying for you and your whole family.

God bless, Jack and Sherry and family.

Anne M Robinson said...

Anyone who served us is a hero in my book! I am very sorry for your losses and we will be praying for all of your loved ones and both yourself and Sherry. Longevity is such a gift and especially when you are able to keep moving forward.
My dear friend Bea turned 94 in May. She has lived in her apartment since the 1970's and they recently hiked her rent by $150 a month! They also asked her to sign a lease. She said, at my age I don't know if I will be here tonight much less tomorrow. She has kept active and lives close to most everything she would need.
Reading your words here made me think of all those wonderful people who went before us.
God bless you Sherry and Jack and all your loved ones.