Friday, November 24, 2023

Families….Another memory kicked in, grade school

Photo of the day

 This is a 1948 Chevrolet Fleetline. My dad tried one of these out, Took the family on a ride, while I was in the 3rd grade, but did not buy it.


So for today:

Thanksgivings change over the years because the Family becomes diluted in numbers and different paths are taken.  When first we were married we shared families, but in a few years we associated with my girl’s family since they were located mostly nearby and Sherry & her sisters shared a very close bond, and even more so after her sweet mother’s passing.

Many entries I make are sparked by something YOU write in comments or in your blogs.  Today My mind went back the Third Grade, public school in Burlington, NC.

The bible and prayer were in school with me from the first grade until I quit school in the 10th or 11th grade, I cannot even remember when I ‘dropped out.’  Sherry will tell me. LOL

In Valdese and in Belmont I remember most, morning devotions given by a student over the loudspeaker system at school.  The Bible was used many times for memory lessons.  Today I was reminded of the 100th Psalm.  That is still burned into my memory from Ms Flemming’s 3rd grade.

My 3rd grade school picture.

We were also taught city governments, I was assigned the ‘job’ as Little Burlington’s Fire Chief..

I lived 2 blocks from school and walked to and from every day from First thru the Third Grade. It was a city school. Burlington was a city I guess, but what I remembered most was seeing squirrels walking the power lines up town.  I was used to seeing squirrels in the woods. LOL.

Nite Shipslog

PS: Thanks for visiting We like to know you were here. You must keep on keeping on or life will shuck you off. And folks will miss you!!!

Above is a family picture of us a Daddy's mothers grave, also my 3rd grade.

Granny Darnell, she was one tough lady. My sister Shirley  & I were like a second family My two brothers and sister were already grown with families.

4 comments:

happyone said...

I remember prayer and Bible reading in public schools too. By the time I was in 6th grade it wasn't allowed anymore. By the time I got to high school my parents took me out of public school and I went to a Christian school.
Nice to see your 3rd grade picture. :)

Mevely317 said...

What a fun 3rd-grade assignment! And you didn't want to grow up to be a Fireman?

I remember hearing Central school's loudspeaker call to each morning's Pledge of Allegiance, but no prayer. Aren't certain memories curious? (What sticks out, I mean.) I enjoyed reading this!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

In every classroom we had a Cross on the wall. We had "Assembly" of the whole school in the big hall. I handed out the hymn books as they came in. The Headmaster and the teachers sat on the theatre stage. We sat on the floor. We had prayers, a hymn with a teacher at the piano, then announcements by the Headmaster. Then we went to our classrooms for lessons.

God bless.

Susan Kane said...

Our small country school always had flags in every classroom. We prayed grace. We sang religious Caroles Good memories. .