Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Some things bother me & I am enjoying learning

  Photo of the day

 

My cool 1955 Ford, Sherry, Son Jack jr at wheel and a young me at the time in the USAF

So for today:

Gnats, they are frustrating.

My tendency to get upset at a driver that I think caused me to be caught by a red light by texting, WHEN I AM IN NO HURRY AT ALL. I ask myself, what is wrong with you?  You are in no hurry at all!

Victor of the UK said things that make me know that kids in other than the USA did things like we did. He said he found bottles to sell back, for a penny. We got 2 pennies, BUT if you have been to England back when a penny was a penny many of you would gasp! When I first went to England I saw pennies were about the size of our big coins and dated back to the 1800s.  I have thought many times I should have kept at least ONE!  Do you have good hindsight also?


Not sure of the lower coin, but it about the size of the USA penny the big coin is a UK penny.  However I do not know the difference in pence and a penny.

And Victor also remembered the ice man and stores that weighed our beans and put them in a brown paper bag.

I appreciate learning that.

Also I have lived in the country, but I have never lived on a farm. BUT I have known farmers, one I loved as a brother and was a great friend, Kenneth Conrad of Missouri. Kenneth was one who took off his clothes in freezing weather and went into a frozen pond to rescue a neighbor’s cow. Kenneth and Eileen raised a passel of kids. ALL who became successful in jobs: in high finance investments, building, nursing, and a daughter who was a jet mechanic. One a war hero like Kenneth himself.  NONE continued in farming.

Our blogging friend, Susan Kane (Contemplativecat) was also a farmer’s daughter on Preacher's Creek methinks.  She was a wild child throwing flour over the kitchen to make art on the kitchen table BUT still became a schoolteacher I heard.  Not everyone follows in their parents’ footsteps as was once the case.

My dad was a successful minister, leading folks to Christ. I thought I could follow in his footsteps but failed and returned to the military and building.

I got lost in this post, LOL, but, did you follow a life close to your parent’s?

Nite Shipslog

PS: Thanks for visiting, makes us feel good. I hope you return…

5 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Yes, I remember the old coins. The large one in the photo is 1 Penny (abbreviated as 1D - D stands for the Roman coin Denarius). So in olden days the price of something at £3 45d meant £1 and 45 pence. Pence is the plural of penny.

Again, in olden days the £ was 20 shillings. There were 12 pence per shilling and/or 240 pence per £. (12 X 20=240)

Then in 15 February 1971 we converted to decimalisation in preparation to Britain joining the European Community. We had "new" pence and £s. The £ now contained 100 pence. Same as in Europe with Euros and the States with $. The second coin in your photo looks like 2 "new" pence introduced at decimalisation.

We also changed from feet, yards and miles to kilometres; although our speed limits are still in miles whilst construction and manufacturing is in metres and centimetres etc ... Petrol for the car is sold in litres but beer in the pub is sold in pints. Beer, wine and other drinks in cans and bottles are sold in litres or centilitres. Most weights are in kilos rather than the old stones and ounces.

Confused? Over here it also rains and sun-shines on the same day as well as sleet at times.

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I never could understand the pence and penny thing, I can't believe the size difference. It would get heavy carrying around a lot of pence in your pocket for sure. Pennies are lucky for me. I find one put it in my pocket and make a wish on it. I saved them for years in a piggy bank and they do accumulate into dollars but not fast. They say if you find one you are lucky. I see them everywhere I go. No one seems to like carrying pennies in their pockets.

happyone said...

55 Ford, that was my parents car. :) I still remember the license plate from that car. BTT 447.
I was a military wife so no, didn't follow in my parents steps.
Father was a machinist and my mother and step father worked in the post office.

Mevely317 said...

Wow(!!!) on your friend ignoring his own discomfort to rescue that cow. Now, that's what I'd call a hero.

I have to smile remembering my parent's advice to "go to work for the government and you'll always be taken care of." My (so-called) career was basically that of a secretary/Girl Friday in professional arenas. I did what I needed to do and was fortunate to be generously rewarded. 'Not so sure in today's atmosphere I could/would do so again.

Susan Kane said...

I follow Val at Unbagging the cat, and she is a fanatic when it comes to random coins. We were so obsessed when our kids was under 5, we had no money, except for the coin jar. $50 had to stretch far in the 80s.
Thanks for the shout out! My brother was better at the flour adventure.