Tuesday, November 21, 2023

That danged TV…. Television was wonderful

   Photo of the day

 

Grandson Luke on my Yanmar, the only tractor I bought brand new.

So for today:

Ma mentioned ‘Television Day’ a day or two ago. It was a day set aside for TV appreciation. Kicking in some memories

It must have been 1948.  Charlotte, NC was the only city in this area that had a TV station, it was WBTV.

I had never seen a TV with a picture on it.  Ray Sides, a buddy in Albemarle, NC told me one day. “Do you want to go see a Television?”

Of course I was thrilled at the idea of seeing one. “Yeah man, but who has one?”





“Oh the firemen over at the Fire station let us kids sit on the floor and watch ‘Howdy Doody’, it is on 5 to 5:30. We have rules. We must be pretty quiet and if a fire alarm happens, we must run outside and stand to the side until after the truck leaves then go home. That hasn’t happened yet, you will love it!”

I did and we got to do it most days.  It was like having a ‘Show’ (movie theater) at home. Buffalo Bob, Jingles and Princess SummerFallWinterSpring along with the entire cast after a few days I knew them all.

My brother was a truck driver and had bought a 7” TV in NYC.  He would turn it on and we could watch the test pattern, at that time he did not have a station near. OF COURSE all the TV’s were Black/White.

You may not know it, but many fundamental churches thought TVs were the tool of the devil. It was going to bring those filthy movies into living rooms and ruin kids. That being the case, my dad was a pastor, we could not have a TV because some of the church members would not accept a pastor that had a TV.  Therefore there was never one in the Parsonage.  Shucks!!

Every Saturday night I ran down to Guy Abee’s house to watch Wrestling.  We had to watch “Hit Parade” featuring Kitty Kallon and the crew singing the top ten songs of the week.  AND THEN WRESTLING!!!

     My brother had been a boxer and when I mentioned I liked wrestling, he tried to shame me because it was nothing but a show and all fake.  But I still liked wrestling!

Nite Shipslog

PS: Thanks for visiting We like to know you were here. Makes us feel good!  Did you have a TV early?

 

 

6 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

It is said that TV was invented by John Logie Baird and Philo Taylor Farnsworth.
But they soon gave it up as a bad idea because there was nothing good on - not even wrestling.

God bless.

Mevely317 said...

What a great gesture on the part of those firemen, letting y'all sit and watch Howdy Doody! Funny, I don't recall watching the show, but can still hear the jingle in my head:
"What time is it, boys and girls?"

That image of your brother's little black and white television looks just like the one I bought my father his last Christmas in 1980. He was so proud of it, and I thank you for sparking that memory.

Woody said...

My 1st TV Show on a BW TV was Hopalong Cassidy and then a show called Lash Larue, We got 2 TV Stations, i of us boys would go outside and turn the antenna by twisting it into the other position for another channel ! Still reading and enjoying your Posts! Prayers and concerns sent down to you 2 for a "Happy Thanksgiving" ! Love Gary an Anna Mae

Susie said...

Jack, I liked this post. I think we were the last to have a TV in our area. We loved it. Love the old variety shows...a chance to see celebrities. Hope all is well. Hold your sweet Sherry. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

happyone said...

I grew up in northern NJ, close to NYC so we had lots of TV channels when I was a kid.
I remember Howdy Doody. :)

salemslot9 said...

I have had a b & w tv
Happy thanksgiving Jack 🦃