Tuesday, November 7, 2023

Working for an Idiot

  Photo of the day

 The Radisson Plaza Charlotte, NC, it was BIG, but it is about the smallest building in town now, in just  a short 40+ yrs!  LOL


Charlotte NC skyline now, I cannot find the Radison...

So for today:

Ahhhh, retirement.  I left the military after 20 years active duty. Free as a bird.  Sherry was working, the retirement pay would be nice augmenter but not enough to support us. I had time to search for THE JOB, now that I was a civilian again.

I wanted to be a worker, no longer to be ‘in charge’, I wanted to be responsible for ME. I said it a lot of times, “I CAN WORK FOR ANYONE, let them be responsible.”

I answered an ad for maintenance man at The Radisson Plaza.  The interviewer said, “Everything looks good, the job is yours if you still want it.  We will give you a 30 day probational period, if we like your work you stay.”

I told him I wanted the job and would do ‘The Radisson’ the same, I will work the whole 30 days, and if I am comfortable, I will stay.”

The dude smiled and said, “Fair enough.”

When I reported in I was working for a 25 year old college grad, he had been there a year.

Three of us were given the Intro tour. Given by our 25 yr old boss.

In the basement, he pointed to a big water valve and said, “The minute you hear a fire alarm, it will be caused by the sprinkler system. Rush down here and turn all the water OFF!”

We three said at once, “Why would we turn it OFF?”

“The sprinkler System in the Hotel is not dependable. What you hear will OF COURSE be a FALSE ALARM, Water will ruin the carpet!” 

He actually said that when Just the month before the newspaper/TV headlines had been something like this:

 

LAS VEGAS HOTEL FIRES …. At  the Las Vegas Hilton: 8 killed, 200  injured. Three months before the fire at the MGM Grand: had cost 87 lives lost.

Later, alone, 3 of us agreed, 'No way will I cut the water until I know there is NO FIRE!'

That wasn’t bad enough, there was no repair parts filing system, things were just piled around the walls in the maintenance area. EVERY time I needed a part, he sent me to buy it.  Even when I told him we had the part I just had to find it, he without fail would say, “We do not have time to search thru parts, it is faster to go the hardware store.”

 

OF COURSE I LEFT AT THE END OF 30 DAYS, I COULD NOT WORK FOR AN IDIOT!

Sherry and I then bought my BIL’s Roach Coach (catering truck) and we had our own business for a few years. I ran the truck and she continues her job.

Nite Shipslog



PS: Thanks for visiting, I hope you return…

Can you imagine how infamous one would be to shut off the sprinkler system during a Hotel Fire???

 

 

5 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Just goes to show, a sheepskin doc in the wrong hands means little to nothing. I'm picturing the maintenance manager at my former workplace -- an older, gruffer sort who never suffered fools. He'd like to have a stroke listening to your fellow. Do you ever wonder what became of him?

Susie said...

Jack, Not working for an idiot sounds good. A friend of mine said once his boss was upset and started yelling at the crew saying, "remember this, I am the boss and you are nothing!" My friend said, "big deal, you are the boss of nothing." Thank goodness the boss found the humor in that and calmed down. I still think that's a funny story. I know that the way you have worked all your live, slowing down just stinks. I am retired and I work harder than I did on most jobs. LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Yes, I had terrible bosses too. They graduated from University in Stupidity.

God bless.

happyone said...

That is unbelievable. The rug will get wet!!!!

Susan Kane said...

Nothing like being told to disable a security system to keep from ruining carpet! You have led a different path than this farm girl would have ever considered.