Saturday, November 25, 2023

Too cold…

 Photo of the day



So for today:

Life is different in different climates.

  One thing I especially remember was talking to guys in the Military about our previous lives as kids. Subject of Skating came up and other guys said they too enjoyed skating and couldn’t wait until the temps fell into the teens to start skating, 

It didn’t take me long to realize they were talking ice skating and I was only familiar with roller skates.

I replaced my wheels a couple times a year because I wore them out on roads and sidewalks.  I was in my teens before I knew about skating using wooden wheels on wood floors at skating rinks.  I never considered Ice skating or skating rinks.  I assume ice skating must strengthen your ankles…

In my entire childhood until I was 16, I saw only one winter where Mill Ponds froze enough to walk on.  Then it was scary.  We did take a running start and slide out on the ice; it was fun.  I think I would have loved ice skating.

 NOW?  Completely different story. There was a time I laughed at sub freezing temps, I now am chilled at 40 degrees, since losing the weight I did.  Shipmate Woody up in NY is facing a lot of Medical treatments and has lost a lot of weight, he too misses the weight.

We had planned to stay in NC a couple weeks but will cut it short because the Weather persons have decided to run us out; when they say 23 degrees soon, We say, “Let’s head South!”

My Sister told me of trucks driving across frozen lakes in Canada. Like this:

I would be thinking this:

Trucks do not float! No driving on ice for me.

Nite Shipslog

PS: Thanks for visiting We like to know you were here. Come back soon, you hear?

6 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Never tried ice skating; or any skating. Too frightened of falling. I once fell down the stairs. I was asked, "Did you miss a step?" I replied, "No, I hit every one of them!"

Very cold here today - 3*C What is that in Fahrenheit? Pretty cold in whichever language it is.

God bless.

happyone said...

I went ice skating every winter. We lived right by a lake and it froze every year.
Also roller skated. Metal clip on ones when I was young. As a teen I went roller skating every Saturday evening at a roller rink with friends. Great times.

Victor, 3C is 37F

Mevely317 said...

Some of my most cherished memories took place at the ice rink in Los Alamos. Located at the bottom of a mountain chasm(?) it rarely got enough sunlight to melt the ice. Still, the thought of skating on a frozen lake scares me.

PS - Tom's right there with you, shivering in his boots.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thanx Happyone.

God bless.

yaya said...

I grew up in the Chicago area and did ice skating and roller skating. One of my good friends parents owned a roller rink so that was a big part of my childhood. I still live in a cold climate and perhaps one day might want to live warmer but for now I'm good. Besides, it's good to cuddle on those cold nights! Ha! Give your girl a hug and you two take care!

salemslot9 said...

Ice Road Truckers
defy channel
Wed 4am-noon
Back to back episodes
I watch it on regular old antenna tv sometimes
I know you hardly watch tv though
I just checked youtube
You can catch an episode there too