Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Camping, Hiking and RV’ing

 STEEL_DRUMS I think homemade instruments are akin to camping. I knew a kid who made a ‘banjo’ out of a cigar box and what we called back then as ‘cat gut’ strings (not steel).  In Jamaica I saw 50 gallon steel drums beaten by a ball peen hammer until the maker came up with a scale. Hitting it at the different areas could produce a very good scale and they could play them too.

09076

Many Flutes have been made sitting around a camp fire.  Whistles and flutes are among the top home made instruments.

6b5b040900bf1b0d4091997dfbca1f58

Since my childhood, camping was part of my life. We went with Uncle Irvin and Aunt Bert to the Pisgah Forest of North Carolina for many years. Oh the stories I remember, at night around a camp fire. I guess it is those things that cause the fire to grow about being back to nature.

homemade-musical-instruments2-300x179

Funny back then we NEVER had a tent. the adults slept in the cars/trucks and the younger folk slept on picnic tables or the ground. I do not remember it ever raining to spoil our trip

minieco_box_guitar_diy

My mama was good about starting a song on the right key, and we sand with her many nights.

As I grew older and Sherry and i started traveling, I have learned that music is a big part of Camping (RV’ing) life.

 

One park a guy had a key board and entertained everyone whether they wanted it or not. There were complaints. HE did not realize anyone would be offended.

The oddest instrument I have seen in a park was a Bass horn.  In a park near Sarasota, every day for an hour or so a guy would huff and puff his big base horn. It is really hard to make out a song played on a bass.

The absolute most entertaining home made instrument was in the adjoining campsite once in the Shenandoah's.

instru1

The old man made the ‘Hammered Dulcimer’. I had heard of the instrument, but had never seen one. I had always pictured it as the steel drum in Jamaica. But it was altogether different. It is a stringed instrument played with small hammers, the strings are hit rather than plucked as a guitar. Our neighbor could make some good music. the Kids gather around as they always do to music, and he had them singing.

dulcimer-info-leg

All stringed instruments are  familiar at camp sites.

Thanks for coming this way.

Nite Shipslog

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<V>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1914 was the year to look like an Airplane

121212 1914_Morgan_Cycle_Car_670lbs

The 1914 Morgan above looks like it has jets.

23232323 1914_Ricottis_Alfa_Torpedo 9999 1914_French_Aero

 

1914 was the year of the plane car, evidently

11 comments:

Glenda said...

Your vivid memory turns a "camping" entry into a fascinating story, have never seen some of these ingenious handmade instruments! The Hammered Dulcimer is quite a feat of engineering, wow!!!
[love that Morgan ~ now that's classy]

Paula said...

Did you ever see Bongo Joe playing his barrel in downtown San Antonio or on the riverwalk? Like this entry. I remember camping out on the Medina river once and my sister walked in her sleep. Someone woke up to catch her before she stepped into the river.

betty said...

It is interesting what people will use to make instruments and then how good the instruments sound when played :) When we went to the musical instrument museum in the Phoenix area, we saw instruments from all different countries. I commented to hubby that they took what they had to work with and made an instrument out of it and by listening to recordings they had of them, all sounded good. But there is something about a campfire that makes music sound extra special I think!

betty

betty said...

It is interesting what people will use to make instruments and then how good the instruments sound when played :) When we went to the musical instrument museum in the Phoenix area, we saw instruments from all different countries. I commented to hubby that they took what they had to work with and made an instrument out of it and by listening to recordings they had of them, all sounded good. But there is something about a campfire that makes music sound extra special I think!

betty

Lisa said...

We used to staple two paper plates together filled with beans. This would make maracas. I also used to love to watch trash can bands. They used to play the metal trash cans. Of course I've only seen this on TV. but Im sure they are still up in the northern areas.

Keep traveling
Lisa

Mevely317 said...

Nope, I've never been a willing participant in camping - tent or not.
But(!) the music? Why, those memories are gold!
Have y'all ever heard of the Musical Instrument Museum here in Scottsdale? I'd no idea it was so extensive -- even musician-hubby was at a loss to identify some of the more rudimentary, ancient stringed instruments. Something to see, if you're out this way, for sure!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have so many good memories of the times we spent around a campfire. We weren't a musical group but the laughter of my loved ones was like music to my ears. It's an overcast morning here, but we're hoping to see some sun today. It's been way to rainy. Hope all is well with you all there in the south and you are keeping cool.

TARYTERRE said...

Interesting you went camping without a tent. I had a dear old friend who played the ‘Hammered Dulcimer’. It is a wonderful instrument for sure.

jade said...

I have been on the search for the perfect backpack for years and with this product I finally found everything I was looking for. https://hikingcampingguide.com/

Kristin D Crooks said...

Interesting posts, what are these instruments, they look special, the shape of these cars is so cool

Jessica said...

Good memories! night around a camp fire, Camping (RV’ing) life, those memories are gold!
thanks for sharing... https://reviewnight.com