Friday, July 24, 2015

Cataract Surgery, what you may not know…

Lodore-Falls

(The Cataract as we used to know them)

catarct

(Now this is the cataract)

Cataract surgery cleans your cornea of a deteriorated lens, called a cataract. Operative time is less than an hour, it is outpatient surgery.

cataracteyeA

(The natural lens is clouded)

A small slit is made  beside the  cornea. A miniature vacuum cleaner removes the debris of the cataract or old lens, after if it is broken up and liquefied. Once  the cleaning is completed, a new man made lens is installed. The small slit is allowed to fall back in place, normally no stiches are applied and the cut is allowed to heal with the help of eye drops.

Did you know that as a rule a lens for ‘far sights’ is installed in one eye and a lens for close up is installed in the other. In Sherry’s case the right eye just completed, is for far sights.

The brain adjusts for focus and you never notice. In my case I did not even know this. I must have missed it because my hearing was going at the time.

Now for the results. In my case I did not need reading glasses for a few years, now I use  reading glasses in bad light. BUT the first thing you notice and Sherry already has, colors are more vivid. Whites are WHITE. As your sight goes so slowly you do not notice that the whites have become a little dingy.

Eye-1

We are not sure yet about Sherry’s need for reading glasses. The pupil is still dilated and this eye is for distance anyway. We are hopeful that the Laser surgery has corrected her astigmatism.

astigmatism1

Laser surgery for astigmatism changes the curvature of the cornea, either by flattening or raising the curvature, to make the focus correct to the optic nerve.

Now for the costs. In Sherry’s case the cataract surgery is taken care of by Medicare and her supplemental. The Laser surgery for astigmatism is not covered by insurance because it is  considered cosmetic surgery, or unnecessary since eye glasses will counter  that problem.

WE agreed that the cost is worth it, Sherry wanted to be without glasses or contacts, if at all possible.  She opted to give it a try and I had no objections. For you who are interested the laser surgery ranges from $500 to $3500 per eye according to the intensity of the Astigmatism or repairs needed (as I understand it).  Sherry’s was $2000 for the right eye. Yes that is a lot of money, but we have decided we want to make life easier in these last few years of our journey, if we can.

Nite Shipslog

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<V>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Next in our climb thru the years, the 1936, less look alikes:

400px-Delahaye-1936-figpni-falaschi-19491936_Chrysler_21936chevycp0129051936-desoto-airstream-convertible-sedan-101161936-dodge1936-Duesenberg-Model-SJ-Town-Car1936-fordlincoln-zephyr-125231936-packard-one-twenty-1

7 comments:

betty said...

I would agree, Jack, make it easy if you can for Sherry's sight; hope it does work so she won't have to wear glasses/contacts. I have heard people after cataract surgery do comment on how bright everything is. I've typed many a cataract surgical report, the doctors make it look like it is a "piece of cake" when they are dictating it (course they do the same with brain surgery too LOL )

betty

Paula said...

I would agree, it is worth the money. Hope Sherry doesn't need glasses or contacts.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm glad to hear that Sherry is already seeing a difference with improvement to her sight. I've heard a few say they no longer need glasses afterward. What a nice thought.

Chatty Crone said...

That is so sweet of you! Eye sight is critical isn't it - something to be thankful for! Just stopping by to tell you I am still alive and hello!

Mevely317 said...

I didn't expect I'd find this as interesting as I do! Nice to have medical 'stuff' explained in terms I can understand. LOL.

'Trusting that Sherry's feeling better today
...and doesn't that mean you do as well?!
Hugs from here!

TARYTERRE said...

Thanks for the tutorial. My husband and I both need it done. But I've been too chicken. Now that Sherry has shown us things work out in end, maybe we'll change our mind.

Steve said...

A relative of mine had a cataracts operation a few months ago and I didn't really understand the process at all. This blog has enlightened me a little! I love the diagrams you use at the beginning, they are exceptionally clear communicators. I'd not realised either that the brain automatically adjusts to focus your vision afterwards, the brain is an amazing thing, isn't it?