Monday, January 21, 2019

Criticism, constructive or otherwise



****** Automobile’s of Art:

The Edsel one of the largest industry goofs.
The Pontiac Aztek, considered in most polls, the ugliest car produced.  Both designs and productions had YES people in planning, criticism little to non existent, until later came the 'I told you so!'


 
The now:
Criticism, no one relishes it. But we are pretty smart, if we consider it, rather than cast it off as someone disgruntled. We could make a bad mistake, if we don't consider it.

One of my mentors from years ago advised me, “Jackie, take the accolades with a grain of salt. And on the other side, don’t let the negatives or complaints go unheeded, ALWAYS take them seriously, they could be just fluff or the key to a great future.

He continued, “Most friends will not tell you to your face, you need to change something. So seriously look at all complaints, there may be one that will help you and change your whole life.”

I have known more ministers than I have other ‘professionals’. They would not like the term ‘professional’ I used, but it is true. Once ministers considered their lives ‘a calling,’ now I fear it is a chosen profession. Not always from a naturalistic point of view, because most are dedicated to seeing the ‘cause of Christ’ spread, and they make a living doing it. Anyway many ministers I ‘hear’ actually need a public speaking trainer. Many times as much as 50% spoken, is not understood. Some the fault of the sound system but mostly due to their lack of a good public speaking training and use of the microphone.

I ask you, if you attended church: Did you understand your pastor or teacher last week?

I am a chicken, I would not tell my friends that, I am afraid it would hurt their feelings, basically insult them. We all have an insight of our friends and ‘know’ how well they take constructive, ‘criticism’.

If I were to give that advice, it would be constructive. However in most cases the ‘constructive’ part would not be recognized. LOL

Nite Shipslog



9 comments:

jack69 said...

I'm smiling, I have known people who were 'Professional Critics' in my life, not a thing they could not critique negatively! LOL

jack69 said...

This post is not really criticism, but constructive advice. hahahahah

Chatty Crone said...

I try to listen to constructive criticism even though it hurts - but I don't like it at times. Especially when more than one says it - you know it is true.

Brenda said...

Constructive criticism is an oxymoron!!!��
Construction builds up-criticism tears down

Lisa said...

Nick said, The Edsel was not really a goof but criticism killed it. (Yes I read a lot of your post outloud to him). Haha.

Great post Jack.
Lisa

betty said...

I did hear the minister at church yesterday and we sit way in the back of a my auditorium type sanctuary. However, I know what you mean about sound systems. Since hubby plays in worship bands at church (not currently but in the past), he would listen to the recording of the set of songs later when they were available and he would comment he couldn't hear himself much, etc., because of the way the people on the sound board was mixing the instruments, etc. He tried to constructively tell them how to perhaps mix the sound better, etc. A lot of times he was met with either ears that listened and didn't follow through or ears that were intent on doing what they wanted to do when they wanted to do it.

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is hard to take criticism. But I've known those that could do it without hurting any feelings and make you think twice about what they were saying. We do have a good sound system at our church and yes, I can hear what the pastor has to say. I do believe it is better to build up than to tear down and appreciate advice more than criticism. To me a friend is one who likes you no matter what.

Dar said...

Our church service is live on the radio too so when I miss church, I can still listen on the radio. Our sound system is great but I do miss more in church than on the radio....I suppose from distractive noise like children kicking the back of the pew. lol It's happened or a cough or sneeze. As far as criticism, I used to never be able to take it. Now I ' own it ' and carry on. I'm getting old and it no longer hurts me to accept the truth. I'm to that point in my life of ' take it or leave it.' Life is too short to let critics bother me. If I was meant to be opposed, so be it. God must have it in His plan for me.
loven'hugs from up north where the winds blow above the zero mark, the snow is falling lightly as another day carries on. Stay warm~

Mevely317 said...

I have to agree with Brenda … constructive criticism is an oxymoron!
I know my parents loved me desperately, but I think they did me a disservice by telling me everything I said or did was wonderful. Wholly unprepared for the Real World, for years my self-esteem lived in the bargain basement. Yes, IF warranted, one's critique should come with gentle hands clad in velvet gloves.

PS - I've no trouble understanding our pastor, but the sanctuary is a tiny one.