Monday, January 21, 2019

Ostrich, pumpkin ball and frozen lakes


Automobile’s of Art:
 1988 Buick Caprice

Breaking news:
The here and now: Breaking news, Ed and Dianne made it down for a visit. This has been scheduled a long time,  Ed a family friend of Sherry's and a good friend of mine. Dianne is a classmate to Sherry. Ed is too, but like me he was a drop out.
NOW!
I have heard all my life that an Ostrich buries its head in the sand when they are frightened.  I have heard politicians teachers use it as an example of people not wanting to learn. I have even heard preachers use it concerning people ignoring their ‘sins.’
Now at this old age, I read it is not true. That is a shock.
As a child I went to the YMCA to play. The game was Pumpkin Ball.  Ever hear of it? It was like inside softball on the basketball court. The ball was about the size of a volley ball, but heavier. We used a wooden bat, it had to be placed on a mat after you hit the ball or you were out.  I haven’t heard of the game since (even a net search). I have been told I am mistaken, or it never happened.
When skating is mentioned, southerners think ‘roller’ northern folk think ‘ice’. Only once in my life did I see a mill pond froze enough for kids to walk on. No one had ‘ice skates.’
When my sister and her husband lived in Canada, he told of islands on the lakes that were reached by vehicles in the winter when building materials were ferried by truck over the frozen lakes.  That is amazing to me. Ice thick enough to support a loaded tractor and trailer.
Tractor & trailer trucks on a frozen lake is not logical to me, but I believe it because neither BIL nor sister Kat would lie to me.
Now as I think of it, the ostrich burying his head in the sand is not logical, but I believed it. Huh?
Nite Shipslog
PS: About the frozen lake, “How do those people know the last time they can safely drive their cars across that lake?”

5 comments:

Lisa said...

We used to watch a show on TV called “Ice Truckers”. It made me too nervous so I stopped watching it. They would drive over iced lakes to make deliveries. It was the only way to the other side so they had to wait unitl frozen. I always wondered why those towns never built a bridge.

Nick is laughing at you just learning about the ostrich tale. I’m giggle as if I knew the truth too. Haha.
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I remember a ball like your pumpkin ball that the kids would use to play kick ball with. Here there is plenty of ice skating to be had also roller skating and both have rinks indoors. Our lakes and ponds will freeze if conditions are right and people go ice fishing. It takes long term freezing to make it all right. No chance of that here...Yesterday we had below zero to start the day, today is to be 45 and it's raining. Lots of slush and it's not safe for sure. Enjoy your company !

Mevely317 said...

Oh man. First they tell us Pluto's not really a planet, and now you say ostriches don't really bury their heads? (All this time I believed they were in denial.) I used to enjoy ice skating, but I'd be super reluctant to step foot on a frozen pond.

I hope you and Sherry are having a great time with Ed and Dianne!

Glenda said...

Seems scary to drive a vehicle over a frozen lake, have to have steady nerves and knowledge concerning how deep that ice is! Interesting post :)

betty said...

I wonder if pumpkin ball, which I have never heard of before, was just the name given for that particular region where you lived and was known by another name elsewhere. Sounds like an interesting game. I do remember seeing patches of ice on lakes in Billings when we lived there and some people would venture out to skate on them. Fearing the cold if the ice cracked, I never encouraged it or participated in it myself, but then the few times I did ice skate it was in an area with me hugging the wall a lot to avoid falling.

Enjoy your visit with friends!

betty