Thursday, January 24, 2019

New experiences, electric chainsaw and coffee beans…….



Automobiles of Art
             1987 Buick


Lately I have experienced something new. My mama would say, ‘That is a new wrinkle in your horn.’ 

So in the last few days I have tried chainsaw carving and also after being inspired by coffee drinkers on a forum, I have tried grinding my own beans. They convinced me I would taste an enormous difference when I did my own grinding.

To do the Chainsaw carving I bought an electric chainsaw.  I am well pleased with that purchase and if you know anything about gas-oil chain saws you know the noise is constant (loud and louder). I smiled when I realized that when I let off on the electric chainsaw switch, the noise stopped.  So I like this one.




Coffee: I bought a grinder. Mama liked 8 o’clock coffee. My friends said the 8 o’clock beans were very good. I have tried it now several mornings and I haven’t decided if it is better than ‘MY’ coffee. Sherry says it is 'not' and she is a ‘real coffee’ judge. Us sailors are not good judges of coffee. Black and strong even a day old is okay. HOT Coffee is to keep you awake on mid watches, not to ‘set back and enjoy’. LOL
 
So I will serve it to Ed, my friend who is visiting. Then maybe I will know……….. Nah, he was a sailor.

Anyway, I will keep trying for a few days. If I am not ‘soon’ sold on the idea I will grind all the 8 o’clock beans and add them to my store-brand coffee and forget it.  My latest trial was 1 cup beans, ground for 10 cups of coffee, pretty good. but...............

Humans have different tastes, how many times have you heard, “Try this you will love it!” (BUT….. no!).

Do you grind your own, if so what kind and how much of the ground coffee do you use per cup?  



Nite Shipslog
PS: Contrary to my past, now I do like to sit back and enjoy a good cup of coffee!



9 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Naw, that too high-falutin' for me. Sorta like Starbucks, lol. I will admit Starbucks coffee tastes better than Folgers but we buy ours (pods) on line from the good folks at Keurig -- auto delivery once each month w/ free shipping.

I'm curious if you or your friends have tried that military/veteran start-up, Black Rifle coffee? (https://www.blackriflecoffee.com/) I've not seen them in the stores here in Alabama. I don't think they sell them in pods, but think I'd like their "extra dark" blend. Bottom's up, my friend!

Lisa said...

Never ground my coffee. But I have eaten coffee beans coated in chocolate and that was pretty good...
We drink Foldgers Silk Dark Roast.

At work
Lisa

Chatty Crone said...

We grind our beans - and I have to say Starbucks French Roast - is the very best ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackie said...

Nope. I'm too lazy to grind my own coffee beans.
I let Keruig do that for me.
Sending smiles to you and your sweetheart....
J.

betty said...

I didn't drink coffee for about a year and a half but recently started drinking it again. We take the lazy way out and use the Keruig machine with various coffees, usually whatever is on sale. Hubby has ground beans in the past but to me it just seemed like too much work :)

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have tried grinding up my own coffee beans and found that it depends on how fine you grind it that makes the difference. These days I take the easy way out and use a Keurig coffee maker that uses this little coffee pods. I get a fresh cup of good coffee every time with no fuss or mess. I never owned a chain saw so the only thing I would appreciate about yours is that it is quieter. Anyway it is always nice to try out something new or even think of things in a new way! We are in the deep freeze here and I am certainly appreciating a hot cup of good coffee here.

Woody said...

We like Store Brand, we use I/2 regular and 1/2 decaf as I can only have 2 cups of coffee in the Morning, does not mix well with some of my Medications.
I do miss a "Good Cup Of Joe" with a little Diesel Film floating round the top and strong enough to peel paint off the Conning Tower bulkhead !!!

Glenda said...

Have a grinder but no longer grind beans although I love coffee, great beans etc., the grinder becomes a nuisance, just buy already ground. I've found the Golden Arches' McCafe French Roast is tasty and affordable!

Dar said...

Mom has an antique coffee grinder hanging on the wall by the coffeemaker...she uses it only occasionally but 'MA' said it right...fresh ground does get better when ground more fine but not to extreme. We grind ours in a grinder like you have pictured when we have a hankering for a stronger brew...and we like the Eight O'Clock too. It's been soooo cold with wind chills today of minus-25 to -45 below. Pure ice in your nostrils and on your whiskers. A hot cut of Jo and Cocoa this morning reined high this morning. Your electric chainsaw sounds perfect for your needs. It would take a whole lot of extension cords to cut our firewood in the middle of our acreage, however. Bill uses a mixed gas in his saw with the 16" bar. Andy has one with an 18" bar but he cuts a lot of big wood. Whatever keeps the house warm. It feels good in here with our consistent wood heat.
loveya n' missya from our northern blast land as we're keeping warm.