Friday, July 3, 2009

Just to clarify.....

This was a few years ago (2000?) when we first started hiking the AT. Sherry is a map reader.
This was in 2005, probably in Vermont Sherry ahead of me.

This is Sherry with her Great Grand daughter, Elsie Mae, who lives in Utah. She is Benjamin Aaron's daughter.

Clarification and Confession day.

I posted on this blog a couple days ago about all the quick decisions I have made. And I honestly have made Life changing, family changing decisions quicker than I should have. But I was not completely open about them. None of these decisions (even though quick) was done without my Sherry’s consent, I may make some strange decisions, but I am not stupid.
Sherry being the sweet lady she is, went along with ‘most’ of the changes in our lives. Even the Air force decision, when she was pregnant with our first child. She knew she would be leaving her mother, her best friend, and heading off to such an awful sounding place as Biloxi, Mississippi. Hundreds of miles from mama. We were in a small 2BR, roach and mosquito infested apartment and mama came down for the birthing. That was a lot of comfort to Sherry, but not for the Birth. We took Sherry to the Hospital and they sent us home saying they did not need us and it was against regulations for us to stick around, so we left Sherry alone with the Air Force Doctors.
I just wanted to clarify there was agreement, She is pretty gutsy, my girl. She was a stay at home mom and that is saying a lot on my salary, I was back to E-2 for another year. For you that do not know, that is the bottom of the totem pole. But we survived. Sherry really never liked Biloxi and went through a depression there. One that she kept secret, I honestly never knew. I never knew of her fear of Bridges (and we had a couple long draw bridges that stopped traffic on the bridge at times, she handled it).
But yeah, everyone has said I am lucky to have this lady, and I know it. She is a lot of fun tooooooooo! And I do understand what Paula said, “Sherry evened me out.” (and still is)
I just wanted to keep the record straight. The knots on my head are going down some now and I can see a little better. LOL
Thanks for coming by the Log,
Nite Shipslog
PS:
The woman applying for a job in a Florida lemon grove seemed way too qualified for the job...



“Look Miss,” said the foreman, “have you any actual experience in pickinglemons?



“Well, as a matter of fact, yes!” she replied. “I've been divorced threetimes.”

10 comments:

Lucy said...

Of course Jack even I would know that you would have consulted Sherry with major or maybe little decisions. She is your soulmate, and it is so obvious to any one that has been journaling and blogging as long as we have. You should never have to defend the decisions you both make.

Paula said...

Elsie Mae is so sweet. Kind of looks like her grandmother.

Ally Lifewithally said...

Loved the pictures of Elsie Mae she is so sweet (My middle two names are Elsie Mae named after two of my Aunts:) It is lovely that you and Sherry make your decisions together ~ Ally x

Terri said...

Yep..totally understandable...Jeff and I always make big decisions together..I knew you and Sherry were no different...you two have a wonderful marriage...you are both so very kind...and a perfect match I must say... I think you two are both very lucky to have found one another...cause you are both adventurous..never a dull moment...that makes for an exciting life...and keeps the spark going *wink* hehe

Love ya'll! Happy 4th of July

Hugs Terri

betty said...

both of you are great people! so glad you found Sherry and she found you!! so neat you have stayed together these many years and still love each other (very much)

have a joyful Fourth!

betty

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures and that baby is adorable!!! and about making decisions...I never thought for a moment that Sherry was the "deciding factor" LOL..and I also can understand the feelings that Sherry had about Boloxi etc...life in the military has its good points...but alot of bad ones too..takes a strong person to cope...I always felt it made hubby and I stronger for one another...and yes we helped many a young couple on the bottom of that totem pole while in the military..made us aware of life around us...happy 4th...hugs to you both

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely photos! It's nice that you two work as a unit! You don't see too much of that around these days. Happy 4th of July!

shirl72 said...

Brother I can truthfully say you got a "JEWEL"
when you married Sherry. She is sweet, understanding, intellegent and beautiful.
Glad she is family.

Shirl

Anonymous said...

Anyone heard from Lucy today? I tried to access her blog but it says it no longer exists!

Lucy said...

Jack, I am still here and I tried to put the complete name of my blog in settings and that was what caused the screw up. Soon as I changed it ti "What life is about" I was found again. I commented on Rains blog. Had problems with email also last night. Got in the dog house with Hubby cause I was trying to fix it till 9:00.