Monday, July 27, 2009

Painting and trying to eliminate PAIN!

This is home for a week or so while we contemplate our navel? Or something.
When you walk in the woods you have too much time to think. I still do a few Art presentations and chalk talks to entertain and sell a few books. Our equipment weighs from 80 to a hundred pounds, and is awkward to carry. I have had this brilliant idea. Instead of throw away paintings and drawings, why not try something new, reuseable stuff. I have decided on velvet.
When I was a kid my brother Jr. brought mama a picture home from the Pacific that was painted on velvet. I loved it. I want to start with a partial picture and finish it to the music or during a talk. I am working on one I love, "The House by the side Of the Road", a poem by SAm WAlter Foss. Above is the rough, in chalk.
Getting there I think, but it is hard to paint on velvet. I was surprised. Much different than canvas.


This is a close up, but either I took the picture crooked or I need to straighten the house. While I am waiting for it to dry I am making this entry.


This is the view from our front door, here in Gorham, New Hampshire.



Some of the white Birches I have been talking about every once in awhile. the Whites are named that because of the many White Birches here.


Sherry is not neglecting her feet. Soaking in Epson Salt.




Soaking in Salt while playing games on the computer. She has evidently finished reading all her journals and Blogs. Now time to play Freecell, Hearts, Solatiare and Capture the Cat. She MUST win each every day. Keeps her mind sharp. (Can you tell she just said don't snap that? Of course I don't hear well sweetheart.) (What good is a handicap if you can't use it sometime)


Through soaking, now it is Sudoko time. She is a puzzle and games lady, and she is good at it. The Afgan (?) on the couch was crocheted by our long time friend Mary Ann, Sherry loves it.
Well that is what we are doing. My idea of the velvet, if it works will lower our weight for a show to about thirty pounds, and cut set up time considerably, I hope. I think I can drop the colored lights and simply use the Black light in the finale. I am hoping under the black light I can turn on the lights in the house, raise a full moon and highlight the smoke fromthe chimney using flourescent chalk. After the presentation I hope to be able to vacuum or clean the velvet of all except the permanent acrlyic. We will see. If half that works I will be ready for Fall presentations.
Take care, and thanks for coming by the log.
Nite Shipslog
PS:

I spent a fortune on deodorant before I realized that people didn't like me anyway.
Maybe women should put pictures of missing husbands on beer cans!
Since we have been in the White Mountains, we have decided that old age is 'when you still have something on the ball, but you are just not able to bounce it.'







9 comments:

betty said...

I like your idea about painting on velvet! your house you painted on it came out really well! love the smile on Sherry's face; I'm hoping she's feeling a bit rested! I like all the games she enjoys playing; it is true that it does keep the memory sharp to engage in games like that!

betty

shirl72 said...

My first comments will not post I have to post the second time. Don't know why this happens.

Shirl

shirl72 said...

It proved me wrong and posted. Well glad you
are resting for awhile. The drawing looks good
on the velvet. If you didn't take the picture
sideways slant the material. Don't you just
love free advise. I bet the velvet is harder to
draw on but would cut down on your weight. The details looks good. I bet it is pretty. You can try your next talk at Holy Angels. Those people are very forgiving if it does not look like you wanted it to. Agnes said she was going to shoot you because you cannot be here and speak at the Book Club, but said she understands. We are in such demand.

Shirl

Lucy said...

I really like your painting!! Very cool. You are both looking really good for the pace you young oldsters keep. See how complimentery I was. That is a way of saying young minded ,little older people. You both are looking good. Hope to be back on tomorrow. That will be changeover day.

Anonymous said...

I like the velvet too! Gosh, I hope you both are back in "ship shape" soon!

Btw, please join me on A Walk In The Woods!

Paula said...

I remember those velvet pictures. Your's is looking nice. Sherry have you ever played Word Whomp? That is one of my favorites.

Woody said...

Glad yer taking a break, you 2 did went "a fer piece" as Gramp used to say!!! That one picture looking down at the lodge looked like it was about a "Hoot & a Holler" away from you! LOL.. Poor Sherry's feet, BUT ya can't beat Epsom Salts!!! I am up late for me as we been on an excursion of our own, had to go back and read yer posts!!! Glad yer taking "Shore Leave"

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

Oh! That painting is quite beautiful!!

Slow and Beautiful — Snail

Ally Lifewithally said...

I love the idea of painting on Velvet ~ your painting looks lovely ~ Sherry looks very relaxed sitting on the sofa ~ hope her feet are feeling as relaxed as she looks :o) ~ Ally x