Sunday, July 26, 2009

Leaving the Trail for a while.

This is the Galehead Hut. We helped the Croo (as they are called) set up for 36 breakfasts to pay for our stay on the floor. One of the cooks gave us a half loaf of sweet bread. We took a cup of coffee out to this porch and had our breakfast. Yeah it was better than raisins and Prunes. Everyone is inside having breakfast, Here is Sherry dreading the climb for the day.
This is the view Sherry has from where she is standing. GAlehead is the most remote of all the AMC huts. It still amazes me that anyone will pay $95 a night to walk up here and spend the night. However, if you do not tent, and can afford it, There is nothing like these stars at night. I think even clearer than Montana. I am sure RAin has the same view in Quebec, if there are no lights around.

Sherry doesn't look real happy. One reason is a fever blister. She forgot her Lysine. She takes that religiously and keeps away the fever blisters to which she is prone. To be honest, her feet (mainly ankles) are killing her. Yesterday's extended hike about done her in.


But Happy Jack is just glad to have her, so we leave the crowd eating breakfast and head toward Mt. Garfield, and Mt Lafayette. This ain't gonna be a lotta fun.


However the sky is clear. We loaded up with water at the hut and we headed slowly down the trail.


Plenty of water on the trail as this photo shows.

Looking forward to the next mountain. Actually looking ahead, not forward to. LOL Now at this point we come to a trail that joins the AT, called the Gale River Trail. I have elected myself TRail Master so I called a pack off break. There is an auto size boulder at the junction so we climb up with a map to look and rest. I point oiut on the map we have a 3000 foot climb ahead. and a very steep, rugged 35oo foot descent. I was afraid her ankles would not handle it. As we sat there a group of about ten young girls stopped (coming from where we are headed). I asked for a vote: "Ladies if you loved your grandma would you allow her to, or send her hiking where you just came from?" Overwhelmingly they said, 'no way.'
I also asked a gentleman from Brighton what he thought, he pointed down the GAle River trail.
So with all the hullibalew about us hiking the entire trail, we started down the GAle River trail. Knowing all the time it was the only logical answer. Sherry's feet were hurting very badly. She did not like it, but agreed this was the right thing to do.


Another spring crossing the trail, yeah, no Bog water today......




This was the most unique water fall of the trip. The water flowed over and through dark green moss.


Sherry being real careful at a log crossing.



This was our first crossing of the Gale River. Rock hopping.




Another waterfall crossing the trail. This is normal. That is what made yesterday so bad, no good water for eight hours. Usually you see this hourly.
We crosssed the Gale once more on rocks before we came to a road. The cell signal was good so we called the campground. A man came to get us who had hiked and climbed a lot over his lifetime. He brought two cold drinks.
So now. We are nursing Sherry's feet. Hoping they get better soon and we can get back into the woods. In the mean time we are eating good and relaxing.
We ae now in Gorham, New hampshire. The view our our front door is a beautiful mountain. It is great to be alive.
Thanks for coming by the log.
Nite Shipslog.......
PS:
****** We all get heavier as we get older, because there's a lot more information in our skulls.That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
******** Every time I start thinking too much about how I look,I just find a Happy Hour and by the time I leave, I look just fine.


This break is allowing me to continue the latest manuscript, S'Gar (just say Esgar) it is due out before Christmas.









10 comments:

Sheila Y said...

Lot of beautiful water on that trail. Glad you and Sherry are enjoying some rest and good food. I hear Shirl is in downtown Belmont selling 'Sticky' out of the trunk of her car. Something about some RVers that left her campsite without paying...ha. Have fun, Sheila

Helen said...

What a view Sherry was looking at. Her poor feet. Glad she made it to the campground. I like the first quote that you wrote LOL. I wondered where all my weight was coming from. Now I know. Helen

shirl72 said...

Sheila you are a hoot. The books are selling
like hot cakes. I am looking pitiful and giving
a story that my brother and sister-in-law are
in the mountains and her feet are hurting and
needs to get back home. I left my CRV at home and rented a car from the junk yard that made the tale believable. It is mostly people from the church that knew Mother and Dad that come
by. Does that sound like a good tale HEE HEE

I think you had better come on home before I
get into some trouble are break the contract I
signed that said I would be good and not stir up any trouble. HA HA

If you read this first read your E-mail Agnes
wants you to speak at her book club. She is
now driving a red convertible gave the Cadilac
to her grandson.

Shirl

Paula said...

I can feel for Sherry I am prone to fever blisters and swollen ankles too. Nice pictures as always.

Melanie said...

OOOOOOOOOO you two becarefull out there....


Melanie

Woody said...

You 2 are surely tough, have been going back thru your posts as we were gone for a while.
You 2 need a REST STOP for awhile!!!!!!
Take care!!!!

Debbie said...

I hope this doesn't sound discouraging but I'm glad you & Sherry made the decision to stop for a while. Sherry looks so tired in the picture & happy Jack didn't look too happy in the picture yesterday, you looked tired too. I hope Sherry's feet & ankles heal well, I know that has to be painful. Enjoy the good food, relaxation & writing your next novel.

Hugs
Debbie

Anonymous said...

I'm voting when this is done someone takes Sherry to a five star hotel with a Jacuzzi.

betty said...

I like what Mary said in her comment; I think that was very wise wisdom she gave! I totally support your decision to take a break; both of you are troopers for what you had been through so far; sleeping on the floor, climbing those mountains, going through bogs etc! Amazing feats for your tired feet (and ankles). enjoy the rest

betty

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

It's such a beautiful geography

Moon and Sun in One Photograph