Thursday, February 25, 2016

When you out live your peers,sometimes you are forgotten

Sherry and I were in the Rondout Valley area of New York. It is on the edge of the Catskills. Driving around one day we spotted a county fair, why not?  So we parked and it was  seniors day and we got in free.  We were shocked to see that BJ Thomas and Billy Jo Royal were there performing that afternoon. Neat!
             BJ Thomas sang 'RAindrops Keep falling On My Head'

WE walked around to see the country stuff.  I have been shocked traveling, learning that places are not as I see them in your mind. For some reason I pictured NY state as being  NYC.  However, There are as many red-necks in NY as there are in North Carolina, maybe more. (Rednecks being farmers or outdoor folk).  Anyway I like to see farm animals 'purtied' up for show. I also like to view, sample and smell the homemade baked goods.  The folk in NY country are just like downhome without the accent. They are helpful and accommodating, even smile and wave. 

Anyway we were in the audience when the 'Boondocks and Raindrops' show began.  The guys sang their hearts out and in the direct sunlight. They sweated their clothes down, both were wearing black and the sun was unforgiving.  We had never seen super stars before, and it was a treat for us.

Then there was this sweet girl standing beside my Sherry who asked, "Are these guys supposed to be somebody?"  WHAT?
                           Billy Joe Royal sang, "Down in the Boon docks"

At times like that you say, yep these guys and we, are getting OLD.
              

The reason for this post is the death of "Sonny James".  He passed away in the last few days at the age of 87. With a smooth voice, his songs stayed at the top of the charts thru the fifties and into the sixties. This dude was cool, we cuddled and smooched to his music. His top single was 'Young Love', and we knew that was us.


Young Love   by Sonny James

They say for every boy and girl

There's just one love in this whole world
And I know I've found mine

The heavenly touch of your embrace

Tells me no one could take your place
Ever in my heart


Young love, first love

Filled with deep devotion
Young love, our love
We share with deep emotion


Just one kiss from your sweet lips

Will tell me that our love is real
And I can feel that it's true

For we will vow to one another
There will never be another

Love for you or for me

Young love, first love

Filled with deep devotion
Young love, our love
We share with deep emotion

Nite Ships Log

PS: Now excuse me, I gotta go get some sugar!
<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>


We smooched in the '48 Chevy below before we married.


We smooched in this 1950 Chevy coupe after we were married.








9 comments:

Lisa said...

I wouldn't have thought NYC had a country side. Im glad you shared that little bit of information. Poor kids now days, They would have loved the old stuff. These days the singers seem to have one hit then its on to another star. Very few stick around and make history.

Have a nICE day.
Lisa

Elizabeth said...

I love this post! I loved all 3 of these guys especially Sonny James !

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I can remember all those people and the songs. Young love was a favorite and I played it over and over on the record player when I was a young teen. Nice memories today !

betty said...

Sadly I think we are at the age where a lot of our favorite performers and actors/actresses from our youth are passing away. I hadn't heard of Sonny James, but am familiar with the other two. Sad also that great performers often end up on the fair circuit, but you are right, they do a great performance and are always welcomed by their fans, no matter what age they might be.

betty

Mevely317 said...

Learning of Sonny James' death the other day saddened me. Yes, "Young Love" has been 'playing' in my head since I read this.

That's pretty neat about your getting to see the two BJ's!
Don't you sometimes wonder why people who don't-know-nuthin' (like that girl at the fair) can't keep their mouths' shut?
True story: We've a 'youngster' here in the office who, when someone mentioned being sad about Yogi Berra's passing, blurted out, "Oh no! You mean the real bear?"

Sheila Y said...

I knew about Billy Joe's death but I missed hearing about Sonny James'. :( Sheila

Rick Watson said...

Jilda and I rarely do cover songs, but when we do, Young Love is one of them It is a beautiful song and Sonny does it right.

It's rare I hear a song written these days that comes close to the songs we grew up on. Not being boastful, it's a fact.

Paula said...

Young Love is such a pretty song. I did lots of Jitterbugging to country music at the Bulldog Snack Shack though.

Glenda said...

Still have cassette tapes from most you mentioned but not Sonny James, loved his music!!!
[Mevely ~ Great story]