Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Budget

 

Bill & Dar at their Log house in the woods. Below is Bill when they visited our motor home while we were in Wisconsin.


For today

Sherry and I have always tried to live on a budget. Like most folks, methinks, several times in our lives it has been close.  WE are able to smile now, but once  I went to the bank and borrowed $60 for 6 months.  The payments were $10.25 a month for the 6 months. Even those payments were a little hard. LOL


I read some tough statistics the other day. Spending $100 today buys the same as $12.71 did in 1970.  Now that hurts my feelings.  I remember thinking in 1950 my mama saying in 1912 you could buy or sell eggs for a penny apiece. milk between 25-35 cents a gallon.  That was tough to believe, now you and I are seeing much worse than that.

The economist was saying normally this difference in 1970 and 2026 would take a hundred years, but inflation has speeded up.

Being honest we do not have to budget as many of our peers.  I feel fortunate and wonder how someone rents or makes a house payment of $2000+, buys a car/truck, buys gas, pays utilities, eats out and buys groceries.  For the first time in our lives we have paid a weekly grocery bill over $200.  That is not every week, but no week is less than $100.  That is  old folk.

The cost of living is out of sight that is for sure.  I started working at 50 cents an hour, now younger family members earn from $20 to $50 an hour. WOW.

I hope you are well.  I am doing good and Sherry is also BUT handling blood pressure that goes up and down like a see/saw (Is that how you spell that?)   Above is all, God has been good to us.  

Nite Shipslog

PS:  I love all your comments and thank you for taking the time, Yesterday I got a surprise, A note from Bill and Dar.  I have mentioned them many times but mostly a few years ago.   They live out in the woods of N. Wisconsin, and also have a log cabin (house) further out in the woods. They built it as a team. Bill cut the logs and Dar skinned them. She wore out a 'pull knife' doing it. I just wanted to say thanks DAr and YOu guys, sisters & and that sweet mom of yours is mentioned often here..


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss seeing Dar’s comments here. Dar- I pray you and your family are doing well.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is a beautiful log cabin in a beautiful spot. Nice that they still keep in touch with you. It's so good to hear from old friends. Glad you are both doing well and hanging in there. Love your post!

HappyK said...

When we first got married we budgeted with envelopes! :).

Chatty Crone said...

I can't believe going to the grocery store. It saddens me - we get a lot less now. We are on a budget now. Dar is my sister and we are going to meet in Heaven. Prayers and hugs.

Susan Kane said...

We married 1972 and we spent $10 a week on groceries. If we bought cleaning supplies it moved to $12. so long ago.

Linda's Relaxing Lair said...

Keeping a budget today is a challenge because all the costs keep rising. I like your photos.
Your blog header is stunning.

Anonymous said...

We do okay now, but wow, when we were raising our 5 kids! Kids sure can eat a lot, then there were sports, 4-H wasn't too bad. All in all, we have always been blessed to find a way, one way or another. Thank God we were avid gardeners. Bill just canned Dill Pickles...and I put 8 bags of peas, cauliflower & spinach in the freezer. We sure have been so blessed !!! Today's prices blow us away>>>>>>>! Thanks Jack, for reminding us how our cabin used to look........I'll have to send you an update as Bill added a Pavilion which will be completed as a screened in porch for the bears to rip up. lol , I know, not funny~!~ love you guys....from our home to yours.

Sheila Y said...

I waited until I caught up to comment. I don’t remember having a party line at our house when I was a kid, ( we probably did I just don’t remember It). But my aunts and uncles out in the country did. Rick said his parents, who also lived quite a ways out in the country, had a party line up until not too many years before we married. Speaking of marriage, we made it to 40 years the end of May this year. Prayers that all goes well with your radiation and that Sherry’s BP gets under control soon. Love you both, Sheila