My sister Shirley and I. approx 1944. Mama knew I loved the brother's uniforms, she made this one for me. My first Uniform.
so today:
No one has told me the details of GETTING ready for serious radiation. Today was very interesting. I actually got lost and dragged my sweetheart probably a 1/2 to 3/4 mile to find the Cancer clinic, I must have tried 6 LOCKED doors at the hospital today. A sweet lady, and employee, walked us a long ways to get us there.
Afterchecking in we had a conversation with a couple. The man was there for his cancer treatment. I told them what I had, Merkel Corsinoma, The man across from us said his dad died of Merkel. He also said Terry Bradshaw suffered from Merkal Cell in 2022 and was still alive doing well and working.
They called me in, discouraging Sherry from coming with me. It was a interesting time. I was in two big pieces of circular machines. Using a piece of some hot material, that looked sorta like a thick net, placing it over my face, They made a mask (copy) of my face. 4 techs and a dr. drew on my face with a black sharpie several times; slipped me in and out of each machine a couple times. There was a lot of discussion about my eye. They decided to apply some liquid EYE covering vs lead to protect the eye. They said they would explain it the day of my appt.
Some of you have went thru this and now I know how to sympathize. ;-)
Believe it or not, they did not offer to, nor remove the black marks on my face. The dismissal guy said it would fade away with washing.
I asked Sherry if she would be embarrassed to grocery shop with me? Her answer, "We will go home before shopping. LOL (The folks getting out of the elevator did look at me funny, as they stared at my face. LOL)>
Son Mark brought in a Pizza for dinner so I did not have to cook.
Oatmeal for breakfast in the morning and methinks I will do one of the hamburger helper meals for dinner.
I appreciate any suggestions of easy breakfast meals or dinner meals.
Nite Shipslog


6 comments:
My sister went through radiation and I remember her being marked up too. Hers was not on the face, so it it wasn't so visible. They pinpoint where they want the radiation to go. Glad you know what you are facing and hope it will soon be all over.
My Dad went through this in his late 80's/early 90's. He seemed to endure it pretty well and it did take care of the Merkel cell cancer. He already had Parkinson's Disease, but the two were not related. He lived to be 93, but he died of "old age" issues and not the cancer or the Parkinson's. It was just time for him to go home to heaven and he was ready to go join Mama. Take each day as it comes and give God the glory for a new day to live and enjoy your sweet wife and family.
Pray all goes well.
I'm thinking there's never a 'bad' time for butterscotch pudding. You know, the "real stuff" prepared on a cook-top.
Jus' a thought ... your upcoming adventure might make for your next book. Blessings!
Oh, my goodness, you brave man. That would be scary. The good positive thing is that you heard of two people that survived this. I think that is very positive.
When do you go for the radiation and how long does it take?
Can Sheri cook anymore?
I would look for instant things - I know not as healthy, but easier right now.
They have a product by KODIAK - it's healthy and you can make pancakes or muffins or waffles - in individual packets.
I love cream of wheat and grits.
Boil and egg - good for breakfast with a piece of toast.
Avocado toast. English muffin with peanut butter.
Individual cereals.
Prayers and hugs.
Sandie/Chatty
You are one brave young man, Jack. I'm proud of you for getting after it. My prayer is that you'll get thru this hurdle too. You hiked the App. for petesake. If we were there, we'd be holding onto you with Sherry. Beat that devil like nobody's business ! loven'hugs from Bill n' Dar........
Post a Comment