Thursday, February 25, 2010

Traveling, smelling the roses and going to the SUN!

Thanks for the response about the photo’s. I will probably scan more then put them in containers. Rose sent recommended materials to use to store them. Most folks don’t have the problems we do about storage. I am looking at these old pictures, they have held up well to have been in an old storage trailer for over ten years. It is funny (not ha ha) that we have thousands of pictures and many movies; once we are gone they will not be important to anyone. Of course the child hood pics of the kids and Grand kids will be important.
Pictures of our travels will be useless to most. Pictures of friends the kids never knew will be ignored.
I often wonder about traveling, and why I cannot be content to sit in one place. We have a beautiful home, actually three homes now. WE also have three acres of wooded land to use. I have some friends here, Sherry has many friends here. Friends she has known all her life. Many of them have been friends all the way through school. I am pleasantly surprised that she too has enjoyed the ‘road’. But I still ask myself, why? I must have some mental unbalance, because once we stop, I start thinking of following the next sunset.


WE do stop to smell the Roses. We ate at a little diner at the bowing alley where Granddaughter Reececup works part time to augment her regular job. She is just a joy to be around. She is also Sherry’s beautician (hair cut scheduled Sunday).




We have seen Mark, Luke and Matt (Matt not shown)




Last evening we took the kids out for supper. We had a great time. Later in the evening Jack called to say he and Stephen were coming over to the motor home. Steve brought his guitar. WE looked up Fred’s nephew on ‘youtube?’ He plays professionally with the USAF group called Country Blue (I think). We watched and listened. I mostly watched. Of course I asked Steve to do that, yeah, he did! he showed me he could do about the same thing on the guitar. He is good. We all sang ‘The day the music died’. All 8000 verses. Hahaha!



Steve did a couple of his original songs. He also plays the piano. He has written original symphonies, I guess that is what you call them. He does full orchestrations, all parts. He writes parts within parts. Josh (his twin) is proficient on the piano and vocally also. Josh is a computer whiz and travels a lot, so he is gone this week.
Sherry has a brother, Vernon, here. Shirl, my only living sibling is here. We have even been able to share a little time out of her ‘busy’ schedule.
So I ask myself, “Self, why do you want to leave?” I don’t have an answer except down inside there is something that says, “GO!”

Maybe one more trip around the country after Matt’s graduation from HS. Then WE might have had enough.
Thanks for coming by the Log
Nite Shipslog,
PS:
Me, Vondale and a Russian friend were talking one day.
The Russian said, 'We were the first in space!'
Vondale said, 'Yeah, but we were the first on the moon!'
Not to be out done I said, 'So what? We're going to be the first on the sun!' The Russian and Vondale looked at each other and shook their heads.
'You can't land on the sun, you idiot! You'll burn up!' said the Russian.
To which I replied,
'We're not stupid, you know. We're going at night!'
(Seemed the obvious answer to me at the time! Don’t know why they were rolling around laughing!)

12 comments:

Lucy said...

The itchy foot is waiting to be scratched, huh. Personally I could not travel like that but thank goodness you 2 agree on the traveling and that is all that matters. I hope you can continue for a long time. Love the pictures.

shirl72 said...

Love to see the pictures. I have got to hear
Steve play the piano and guitar. I have heard
Josh, he entertained at one of my Christmas
Parties. We do love our Pictures. I love the
old videos you would take of our family gatherings. Days gone by......

Shirl

Fred Alton said...

Jack and Sherry, you just keep enjoying the travel as long as you can. You have the lifestyle envied by me and a few more. ☺ Today at lunch, Frances said, "When I die Fred will probably make sure his new wife likes that lifestyle before he will get married." Of course we were talking about you two. What is it, you ask? It's the same thing that made my Daddy and some of his buddies run off from home at fifteen and ride the freight train up and down the east coast during the great depression. Until he died at the age of 82, Whenever he would hear a freight train whistle in the distance it would make the hair stand up on the back of his neck and he would shiver. LoL. Or - if we want to spiritualize it - maybe it's the same thing that made Abraham travel from Ur of the Chaldees to the Promised Land!!! Whaddya think?

Fred Alton said...

Man, I meant to comment about your talented kids. That's fantastic. Why not kidnap him and take him with you for the evening campfire sing!

Glenda said...

Amazing the talent in your family, and they are
all soooooo good looking! That Reececup has her
Grandmom's smile...beautiful.

Paula said...

Don't question it. Its just wonderful that you and Sherry like the same thing. It wouldn't be for me. I would think of everything to worry about. I'm not saying that is good.

Woody said...

I have to agree on the pictures and their value to the kids and grandkids, I try to write on the back of all pictures who they are and the date and what relationship they are to me, I have all the old, old family pictures, there seems to be no interest in them by the next generation!

You remind me of the old Hank Snow song, "Moving On"!!

Coffeeveggie addict. said...

no one can agree that you may have an unbalance mind just because you do like to travel,it is actually a great thing to do once you have given your life much of work and other things when you were young,and the best part is that you got sherry to be with you...i wish i could have someone to travel on my late years...sigh*


love and huggs...
blue*

Dar said...

What a fine family you two have and so talented. It's wonderful. As for the pictures, I can relate but hang onto them anyway. They mean something to you and that's what counts for now. I love all the old worn ones. They show a lot of love.
Keep on traveling as long as you can. I envy your life. Bill is more a home body, me too, but we do love to travel given the opportunity. You have worked hard and you deserve to move forward as long as possible. God bless your travels and look onward to the next sunset.

Display Name said...

I think it's wonderful that you can and want to travel!! On a personal note, I figured out why I have that same bug. With my post traumatic stress, as you know, I get that crazy hyperactive fight or flight instinct when I feel pressure or when people peeve me off. Most of the time, I just want to leave and move on. I know I can't change my little defect, but I can change my living arrangements! So maybe you do have little mental unbalance Jack, lol, the best of us do!!!
:))))

Dar said...

Jack.thanks for stoppin in...gotta tell ya...you are absolutely right bout 'can't win with a woman' cause as they say...if a man is in the woods a talkin' and there's no one to hear him, is he still wrong? ....absolutely...lol....that Mel sure does have all the answers and the best recipes...God loveya and keep ya thin on Mels heavenly things.

Anonymous said...

What a "light" at night to read, which indeed changed mood to a better one, seems as if there can be a burning sun even at night, but that might also be due to the time difference... the joke made me laugh, gratefull for that as well, will keep it and tell it to friends.
A wonderful Saturday for you all.