Tuesday, July 23, 2024

I survived my Childhood

 Pic of the day;

 

 For today, just trying to not cry, complain and moan…

Some folks would wonder why I am still here. Some of the things I remember, I came from a good family. My sister Shirley and I were the late children. There were 4 boys and 3 girls; 3 boys and 2 girls lived to adulthood. 

I always loved the outdoors. I smoked rabbit tobacco at 4/5years old. I accidently set a huge straw field.  No fire department, the whole community of High Shoals showed up to fight the fire. I got a good 'whupping.'

My dad pastored a country church then. Shirley taught me to ride a bike, jump rope and play hop-scotch. Dad taught me to make a rabbit trap and I caught many for mom to cook, before we moved.

We moved to the City of Burlington, there I saw squirrels walking on power lines and it amazed me boys didn’t hunt them. LOL. I attended my first years of Public School. Back then (40/50s) the Bible was very prominent. Much of our required memory work was from the Bible, mostly memorizing  Psalms. There was always prayer and reciting the pledge to the Flag.

First grade and 4th grade
I do not fuss about prayer in school now, although I think allowing a silent moment for personal worship would be good. Probably 99%+ of students THEN were from Christian related families.

Then to Albemarle, where I met my first longtime friend, Vondale. Even in the 4th grade he was a working guy, he had a paper route, I learned a lot from him and his family. Of course he did lead me astray. He taught me how to challenge other boys to BB wars with our BB rifles, and no one ever lost an eye thank the Lord.  Once out on his Uncle's farm we had the chance to run out about a quarter mile and let his cousin shoot at us with his 22 caliber hunting rifle, using short shells of course.  They were guaranteed to shoot a half mile.  They said it couldn’t hurt much and we figured we could see them coming. LOL Yes, that is true, we did not get hit. 

We scaled rock walls in a quarry, cooked eggs on flat rocks, swimmed and drank from rivers and creeks.

I also saw my first TV and got my own dog. Before we moved to Valdese.

I did a few more crazy things; much of which is the reason why I say it is a wonder I’ve lived about 86 years. ;-).

 

Nite Shipslog

PS

Now don’t even try to tell me you didn’t do crazy stuff as a youngster……

Thank you for being here…  Life is supposed to be better for me (on the road) even with a few pains…. LOL  Thanks for all the comments, love you guys.

 

7 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What a sweet and wonderful post, Jack. Thank you so much, my friend.

God bless you and yours always.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I too survived my childhood. Things were very different then. I really never thought I'd live as long as I have. But thankfully we are both still here. Every day is such a gift!

Mevely317 said...

Such a fun read! Post
I, too, was quite a tomboy in my early years. Thankfully we had no electronic devices; instead, we were blessed with fertile imaginations. If we believed a piece of wood was a rifle, well dadgummit, it was a rifle. Thanks for posting!

Susie said...

Jack, You know darn well in a family of eleven kids, we just about killed each other many times. Plus the crazy things we did , jump off anything, climb every tree around. Fight with other kids. Not counting the double dog dares! Yikes, scary to even recall. All that stuff made us tough old birds...here's to all of us .:):) Blessings, love you and your Sherry. XOXO, Susie

HappyK said...

Nice to read about your memories. :)

Chatty Crone said...

Jack - I see you in those pictures you put on there. :)
I like hearing your memories and your past. Very interesting.
I survived my childhood too! lol

Lisa said...

yep, I tried rabbit tobacco but I was around 8 or 9 years old. My memaw introduced it to us. I though I was cool but I stuck with the candy cigarettes.
Other fun kid stuff I experienced was tree houses, homemade go carts and shooting squirrels with home made sling shots.

Just a rebel from Belmont
Lisa