Friday, September 16, 2022

Sad but Thankful

Corey Richard Workman 


Corey and Jack Jr. on our last trip across country


For today:

After living over 80 years news out of left field, still sets me back. A couple day ago Jackie Jr. called from Florida with some terrible news. His son Corey (45), out in Portland passed away suddenly. 

 Corey was about 5 years old when he came into our family. He was an unusual kid, red hair and silver teeth. Yes, all his baby teeth were silver capped, he had a brilliant smile that was sure.

On his first stop at our home, we were Grandpa and Grandma. He climbed right in bed with us and slept the first night there.  He stole our hearts. Although not blood kin, he was an integral part of our family.

When Covid was first raging, we had planned a trip to the west coast. Jack Jr. traveled with us and of course we went to see his family in Utah and Portland.  That is the thankful part of all this. We spent about week near Portland and lot of time with Corey. He had dreams of his own trucking company.  He was asking the best way to start the business, questions of financing, etc.  But most of all just being around him. In Portland he had become active in a local church. He was making things RIGHT.

Years before he had stayed in NC with Jack Jr. and had put a lot of gas on my company account at a local filling station. I knew it of course, Jim Groner the owner had told me. I did not say anything to Corey. After he moved to Portland I received the most amazing letter. He confessed to getting gas on the account and wanted to know how much he owed me.  Of course I told him he owed us nothing. I tought that his putting it in writing was enough for me and knowing he was straightening things out.

(Ben & Corey showing one of the houses they were building in SLC)

When Jackie’s son Benjamin was born, HE stole my heart also. The boys grew up to be carpenters. We visited some homes they were building near Salt Lake City. I assumed Corey was the ‘boss’ on their construction crew since he was senior. Corey set me straight, “Grandpa, Ben is the boss on the construction site I am just a worker.” If he hadn’t told me I would have not known, Ben is no bragger, just a get it done type of guy.

Corey, Jack Jr,  Joshua, Benjamin and Stephen (Jack and his sons).

Things that happen unexpected are mind boggling. Corey will be missed by his mother and the extended family, he leaves 3 daughters and a son to grieve.

(Maddison, Chase, Bridger with Corey (Missing Allura Lynn)

Grandma Joan will miss him. He was like a son to her, having raised him the first few years of his life, while his mother was in the USAF.

 

Nite Shipslog

PS:

9 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Jack and Sherry, I'm so sorry to hear of Corey's sudden passing. Such heartfelt vignettes you've shared. I know he's left footprints on your hearts; that's the best kind of legacy.

betty said...

Oh Jack and Sherry, I am so sorry. I do remember you writing of Corey fondly over the years. Such a young age to pass. I do believe he left behind a wonderful legacy in those who loved him. My condolences to the whole family.

betty

Unknown said...

So sorry for your loss. He was still so young. It's always hard anyway but especially hard when it's unexpected and they are young. My condolences.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You have my sincerest sympathies at your loss. It's hard when they are so young. Your son has a wonderful family and I'm glad they were able to be close.

Susie said...

Jack, So sorry for your family's loss. Praying for all of you. Sending hugs to all. Bless everyone in this sad time. xoxo, Susie

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I am so sorry to hear of Corey's death. Please accept my sincerest condolences.

I am praying for you all.

God bless always.

Lisa said...

Oh no. I am so sorry to hear this. My prayers are with you all.

Lisa

Glenda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sheila Y said...

I am so very sorry Jack and Sherry. My condolences and prayers for all of you. Your love for Corey is very evident in all your posts over the years. Hugs, Sheila