Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Live Oaks

LIVE OAKS FLORIDA TREES 012LIVE OAKS FLORIDA TREES 001

(Entering this park and our site, all Live oaks)

Until we started coming to Florida, I don’t think I had ever heard of a live oak. The first time I remember seeing them (not knowing what they were) I thought of Halloween. At dusk they look so grotesque in their shapes. limbs going hither and thither (I remember those words from grade school).

LIVE OAKS FLORIDA TREES 002LIVE OAKS FLORIDA TREES 003

(From our walk in Griffin State Park!)

 

scan1998 105

Those are live oaks behind the Lippazon Stallions.

Now I know, look at them, and think of our lives. The crooks, turns and bends cannot be anticipated. When we think something is easily understood, oops, there comes a bend. Our walks take us under and around many live oaks here in the State Park. They never cease to amaze me at the size of the limbs and how far they will reach cantilevered out.

LIVE OAKS FLORIDA TREES 005

(The above limb snakes 50’ out over the trail, below is a giant tree in the back ground, see it later)

LIVE OAKS FLORIDA TREES 006

RAINBOW SPRINGS II 001

There are some that reach the ground for support then start skyward again. Much like the turns of our lives. There are times when we feel we are headed down, then support from somewhere, and we start up again.

RAINBOW SPRINGS II 003

Now I hear the term Live oak, whether from AL,  MS,LA or Texas, I know what they are talking about.

The Live Oak is a tough tree, and lives a long time. Stubborn against the hurricane winds and droughts. It faces adversity and survives, AND so we all must.

LIVE OAKS FLORIDA TREES 007

(This is the picture in the distance shown above. It is 10’ in diameter and hundreds of years old, It might have been around when Ponce de Leon was near)

LIVE OAKS FLORIDA TREES 008

(I am reminded of a statement I read, ‘75 isn’t old, compared to a tree!’)

Thanks for stopping by the Log, your time is appreciated.

Nite Shipslog

PS: AS to life:

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still THINK they are sexy.

************************************

The Vehicle:

1953PlymouthCranbrookConvtible-re

The beautiful 1953 Plymouth, we owned a two door brown and tan, in the 1960’s.

8 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Gorgeous trees. If they could tell stories, we'd learn alot. So much history there. Those long limbs seem to reach out forever. Very interesting the way they wind around. I love how they almost touch the sky. Thanks for taking me along on your walk. Beautiful photos. Take care.

Paula said...

Love the entry and the trees. You know our town is known as "The home of live oaks and friendly folks". I've always wanted to go around taking pictures where the street goes around a live oak but there always seems to be some junk in the background.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have heard of those trees, but I guess I didn't realize exactly what there were. Do they stay green all year round? I know a lot of trees in the south do that. Many trees are already bare here others are just turning color. I guess it depends what kind of tree it is. The brown leaves of the pin oak here tend to stay latched to the tree for most of the winter. Remember from little acorns grow great oaks... I think that's how it goes. We had a beautiful day and took a ride up along Lake Erie.

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Had a tree house in a live oak when i was younger...best place in the world to read a book...!!

Enjoy

Anonymous said...

what a role model of a tree. feels honest to be. your before entry moved and make me think. please have you all a good wednesday.

Jean said...

Love the pictures, and the walking trail remind me of a time years ago when we were camping at Rocky Bayou in Niceville, Fl. Shawn was about 8 are 9 years old and we missed him, his dad said he bet he went walking the trail I want to thing it was miles around, Grover told me and Sheila to go one way he would go the other and we met him. Scared the pudding out of me. He's still a hiker. Take care, Jean

Anonymous said...

I think I have heard you quote a poem about
a tree. (I think that I shall never see. A poem
lovely as a tree) and it ends with Only God can
make a tree. The poem is by Joyce Kilmer. I
think you learned it in the eight grade in
Ms. Grill class. The trees are beautiful.

Shirl72

betty said...

Love your analogy with the live oak and a person's life/struggles. Would make a great story (hey, wait it was a story). I'm sure they have to be hardy trees to survive the hurricanes' strong winds, etc. They are beautiful ones indeed!

betty