Tuesday, October 11, 2011

People ask Us (1)

a. How do you live in such a small space?

Our needs aren’t great. We read, I journal. I hope to get back to writing seriously soon. It is comfortable. I have never liked a lounge chair, if I am going to lay down I will go to bed. We have both become computer nuts. She likes face book, and keeping up with the news at home. She does the banking. Right now she is playing solitary. She loves to play and ‘win’ Solitary, FreeCell, Spider Solitary and Hearts before going to be every night. I follow one discussion forum and the Blogosphere.

God has been good to us, we own several nice properties we could move into, but we prefer to be on the road.

b. How can you guys live that close together and not fight?

I answered that one on an earlier entry.(I like her!)

c. Where is your stuff?

Yeah, folks must have their stuff.  The motor home has a lot of storage space underneath called the basement. There is storage under the bed and couch. Plenty of room for ‘stuff’.

When we decided to do this full time we tried to sell and give away everything. for one reason or another we had a lot left. Being cheap, I could not see renting storage space at $100-$200 a month. We bought a trucking trailer for $1500. Being on the road now for 12 yrs, that trailer has paid for itself.  We still have about 3 acres of woods so we pulled the old trailer back in the woods to keep it out of sight. Funny thing I go in it and say ‘none of this stuff is worth holding onto’ except a pretty dining room suit and one BR suit.

And yes the snakes, and mice enjoy the place while we are gone. hahaha. (Paula, new MATTS will be required)

d. How do you keep enough clothes?

One thing, as a rule we stay in warm climate, and for me that is the least of my worries. Some jeans, one suit for funerals/weddings, T-shirts and work shirts. Sherry must be more imaginative. She has one 4’ closet. Women are forced by society to have more clothes and shoes. She does great and always looks good. I keep trying to get her to be a cowgirl, jeans and shirts, cannot quite convince her. 

c. How do you decide where to go?

We have flipped a coin. Sometimes it is because of needs. We once went to Mercedes TX to cross the border for me to get dental work.(No dental ins) Another, people we meet will tell us of some out of the way interesting place. i.e. Don & Evelyn told us of the ‘House on the Rock’ in Wisconsin. We had a ball.

Maybe more later? This has gone on too long.

Thanks,

Nite Shipslog

PS: Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

************************************************

From the House on the Rock:

Houseonthe ROCK 218Houseonthe ROCK 228

These were on the inside of the ‘House on the Rock’.

They are full size.

Houseonthe ROCK 041 - Copy

This is taken from a few miles away, the most advertised part of the house on the rock. A huge cantilevered glass room.

13 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love the fact that you two are living the good life there and staying in your warmer climate. You still see plenty of your family and friends along the way too. I know the critters enjoy my camper during the winter months. I've tried it all as far as keeping them out but nothing works 100% I do store things in the plastic sealed tubs so those are safe. It is beautiful here today but this will be the end of our warmer days. Rain is moving in tonight.

TARYTERRE said...

I envy your lifestyle. You have simplified your life so it is comfortable. That is nice. Most people are surrounded by so-oo many things they can't concentrate on what's important. Glad you both are enjoying the internet though, otherwise we wouldn't have met here in Blogger. Take care. Have a great evening.

Fred Alton said...

I think the real key is that you have learned to be satisfied with the simple things in life - and that you "like" each other. Like is different from love. Some folks are in love but seem not to like. ☻ ☻ ☻

Dar said...

Simplify~something I need to learn to do again as Andy has moved home again until he gets it right~we don't mind a bit...we 'like' him besides loving him. He's a good son, just not lucky in love like you two and us. It's like you said, nothing in here has any value, cept that bed, tho small. It's a place to rest our weary bones each night and a place to snuggle. See, now ya got me turning to mush~you two are so in love with life and each other, that, the living in close quarters, comes easy.
BlessYourHearts
oh, that photo of the two of you a few posts back is awesome.
as for the House on the Rock~~~been living here in WI all my life, have kids in Baraboo and have never been there~~~yet. Isn't that what retirement is for?
BlessYaMore

Anonymous said...

Well, I got rid of 96% of my stuff, & I am surprised at how much I don't miss most of it...a few things I miss very much~painfully so, the rest, not at all.

Anonymous said...

What impressive ode to love and life, as it can, as it should be.

Please have you all a safe road ahead and a nice Wednesday too.

Dar said...

I had to return to relieve you of your confusion~~~Randy is the middle brother, Doug is my twin and the oldest of the boys and 26 min. younger than me, (leaving me out first to check the weather), and Eric is the youngster. We had one more brother, Jimmy, born before Eric, who lived less than an hour before joining the angels of heaven with God Almighty. That leaves us 6 girls. In order, now pay attention, cause I'm gonna quiz ya the next time I see ya~~~Linda, Lana (passed a couple yrs. ago), Darla & Douglas, Cheryl, Randy, Melody, Colleen, Jimmy, Eric.
I know, you only wanted to know if Randy was my twin~~~~~~~~LOL
BlessYourSweetHearts

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Thank you... will see if it will let me post.
Maybe we need to feed the animals that are
camping in your trailer. Maybe that is what I
should have done get me a motor and move to Fl.
It would have taken another year to get rid of
my stuff. Glad I have a full size basement
compliments of the Darnell's.

Shirl

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That glass room looks too much like a teeter totter for my liking.
B. Knox

betty said...

I like that you are answering the questions like this Jack! I'm with you about paying for storage; I like the idea of the trailer, good thinking! The good thing about conveniences these days, you can get by with less, like clothes, because its easy to find a place to wash them, etc so one doesn't need to keep a big closet of clothes with them. Your lifestyle does seem so good and definitely works for you guys!

betty

Lucy said...

Betty raised a question in my mind. Do you have a washer and dryer? We have a small house but I do not think Joe and I and Spunky would get along in a motor home. Spunk and I could get along and Spunk and Joe could get along, so who does that leave that could probably not get along????

Ken Riches said...

Sounds like a great lifestyle and method to your madness :o)