Monday, January 14, 2019

Jan 14th my Daddy's Birthday


Automobiles of Art
This is a 1903 Ford, the year my dad was born,.  Below is a Ford 1972 Grand Torino ,  new when he died.


Now:
Jan. 14, my dad would be 116 today. He always joked he was 3 days older than me.
I haven't reached 80 yet.  It is a sobering thought. Two of my siblings died in their first year. Five of us survived. Dad was older than mom, born 1903 and mama in 1905. Sherry knows exactly when my brothers and sisters were born. I just know the order of births.

The sobering thought is I am the one left out of the total of nine. My family has died in order of age. I am left. Shirley, who passed last spring was 82, was known for saying, “I want everyone to know, I was not born this age, I was a teenager once.”  If I reach 83 I will have out lived my entire family and be the oldest living person in Frank and Grace Darnell’s family. I am not saying I will live to be 83, life teaches ‘Don’t try to outguess life and death.’

I have always heard that wisdom comes with age, I am not sure that is true. I find myself doing the ‘unwise’ at times. I wrote a book once entitled, ‘Gracefully Grasping for Dignity’,  I was in my early 70s.  I need to read that again.

I really do not want to bore you with the age problems but I am learning that having too much stuff can be overwhelming. God has blessed Sherry and I more than we could have dreamed. We basically had nothing. We had a car I had wrecked  (bashed in the driver’s side). We received no inheritance to speak of, Sherry worked, I worked.

Now it is time to think of how to make the transition from houses and land owners to ‘just me ‘n you, a car and a place to live.’ I can see it might be complicated. I am not complaining at all. But at present it is a problem, although a nice one to have compared to what we could have.  Our parents did not have these complications.  ;-)

Nite Shipslog

7 comments:

betty said...

It can be sobering when we think of our mortality especially as we get older. I know I spend more time these day thinking of it especially when I hear of someone my age or close to my age already passing on. My mom was the youngest of 10 and was the last to pass away at age 85. I know you'll get it together and figure out all the stuff that needs to be done for your and Sherry's estate, but it will be a blessing to those left behind that you took care of it. That is something that we still need to do. I've said it for the past 3 years, maybe this is the year we'll get it done.

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

None of us knows just how many days of life we will have. For me it's a blessing just to grow old, so many don't get that chance. What you do with what you have is your choice, but being able to do is another thing altogether. We try to be prepared for what may happen, but life has a way of surprising us all. Here I own nothing but a very old car, and the humble contents of my home which I am renting. Sometimes I think even this is too much.

Lisa said...

80 is the new 60! You have many years left. You seem to be healthy and do things right. Not that that will make you live longer but it helps.
My mom is 80 and daddy is 82 and they both work, drive and travel when they can. Your only as old as you feel.

Bored at work.
Lisa

Mevely317 said...

Gosh, I can identify with Shirl's saying! Despite the aches and pains, (more often than not) I'm jolted at the realization my classmates are all 'old' … even son's turning 50 y/o this year. That can't be possible. Can it?

I wonder if you and Sherry wouldn't enjoy reading "Still Me ….. After all These Years." (Blog friend Susan Swiderski was a contributor.)

Glenda said...

You and Sherry are both young in spirit and have such a wonderful relationship; I think that helps keep you young at heart and mentally! All the Grands and Greats that bring joy also, IMO, contribute to your life in a very positive way. I'm with Lisa on this one "80 is the new 60", Happy upcoming Birthday!!!

Dar said...

Age is just a number, not how we feel. To me, I'm as young as I feel and today I must be in my aching age. I'll blame the freezing rain! You and Sherry have the sweetest, healthiest lives together and I see you guys having many, many more delightful years together. You share your upcoming birthday with Mel, if I remember right. Celebrate.
loven'hugs from up north where the ice is slick with that freezing rain I mentioned. Hope you are both warm and safe.

TARYTERRE said...

like you i embrace my old age.