Sunday, January 20, 2019

Just Imagine


Automobile’s of Imagination

 Today's cars are someone's imagination

The here and now:
We can Imagine, but we cannot prove a negative… Like all GRAND PARENTs, we have BRILLIANT GRAND KIDS! Our granddaughter is the prettiest granddaughter in the world. The grand-loves (Darla’s term) have given us pleasure beyond measure.
But right now I am thinking of one statement by Stephen (one of the twins). He said once in High School he was asked, “What is it like to be a Twin?”  His retort was, “What’s it like to ‘NOT’ be a twin?”
Think of that……………… both questions are filled with logic and more questions.
What is it like to be an only child?
What is it like to be raised in a Large family?
What is it like to be raised on a farm?
What is it like to live in the ‘hood?’
I can tell someone what it is like to be a preacher’s son, but I cannot tell you what it is like not having a daddy at home.
I can tell you what it is like raising a family with a loving wife, but I cannot tell you what it is like being a single parent.

The things in this life that you do not know from experience, you can only imagine.
Imagination is wonderful, but your imagination may be far from reality. Odd the things I hear from folks who grew up dirt poor, and never knew they were poor.
I imagined they were miserable, most never knew their family was poor.

As a kid, I imagined an old 80 year old man must be just waiting to die. Now I know that is not true. In my head, I am still a young man, with a beautiful wife!!!!.
IMAGINE THAT!

I imagine I am the happiest 80 year old man in the world. (and the luckiest!)

Nite Shipslog

PS: My chain saw carving: I think Betty got it. It does look like Alf.  I could not place it, but I think that is close.  LOL Thanks...

7 comments:

Mevely317 said...

What a THOUGHT-full post!!! As sometimes happens, I've plenty of material to 'chew' on before sleep. :) I know I'm guilty of making generalizations, presumptions, what-have-you. But because you're such a wordsmith, you've given us such a gift of insight to your and Sherry's life. Thank you!


PS - A few months back we happened upon a fruit/veggie stand in Selma. Asking for directions, I explained we were newcomers to Alabama. Without a trace of self-pity, the girl replied, "Well, I've never been anywhere but right here." And I left with the distinct impression she was totally alright with that. Imagine!

Susan Kane said...

Your questions were great.

We have watched a movie "Ready Player One", which takes place in 2049 and people live desperately limited lives. Misery. Sooo the game world is a world where everyone can escape. No interaction, no life. None of the meaningful questions could be answered.

We saw a Maserati today at Albertson's (grocery store). Young guy, dressed like he had just left Burger King. ??

betty said...

Thanks for the shout out, Jack. Alf was, like I said, the first thing that came to mind.

I think that's the difference between empathy and sympathy in your imagine that things that you posed. I can sympathize with someone who say lost a spouse, but I can't empathize with them because I have not experienced that and hope I don't for a long time. I can empathize with someone who grew up without a dad because I understood that, etc. People say when we say how many times we have moved "I couldn't do that" but more than likely they could. They just chose a different path in life to stay put and we chose or had chosen for us paths to be adventurous and live in different places, etc.

Great post of yours to imagine and ponder on this Sunday night. Its funny I type reports of people who are in their 60s and I think "wow they are old" and then stop and think "you are in your 60s." We are only as old as we feel, right?

betty

Lisa said...

Great post! These are some good examples. We do not know what its like to be in someone elses shoe.
I do not know what its like to be poor but then growing up, the other kids at school thought I was. Mom made may clothes, we reused a lot and wore handme down. I never thought of myself as poor becuase I lived in a big house.

20 degrees and clear in Gtown. Brrrrr
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So true we can only imagine what others lives might be like. I try to remember that and consider that their actions often reflect what is going on in their lives. I can tell you what it is like to raise a large family, and I can tell you that it is not easy being an only child, as I have a grandson that would love to have brothers and sisters. DD often has to take him for play dates so he can have someone to play with. My own children played together and I never had to find them a friend to play with. The did have other friends, but were content to be with their brothers and sister. Old age used to be something I imagined to be much different than it is, but I'm content. You and Sherry have the life that I imagined . When we retired, we were going to travel with the seasons. But that didn't work out, still I'm thankful for what I have.

Dar said...

We too, were told we were poor, but never did I think so. If one has love, one is never poor. My family was big, we had each other for friends and church families to visit with their kids. Never did we feel left out...we were fortunate to have both parents love and nurture us into who we are today, hopefully thought of as responsible, kind, generous of heart. Life is different for everyone. I, too, have been asked what it was like to be a twin, and I answered the same as Stephen. What is it like NOT to be a twin.
I feel very blessed to have grown up on the farm with all my 8 siblings. We were Never hungry or at a loss for entertainment with all the horses, dogs, cats to play with. We made corrals in the middle of 120 acres, even slept under the stars. What a treasure. Life has been become even more grand as our family grew to include a dozen grandloves of our own. I cannot imagine life without them. To this day, we are not considered Rich., but Rich in love, that we are.

Glenda said...

Missed yesterday, loved this post, it's logical and imaginative!!!