Thursday, January 31, 2019

Tom, the farmer.



I did laugh at Myra's comment about the pillows that are placed carefully to appear casual or thrown. That is our temporary bed with 8 or 9 pillows. LOL  My girl just delivered the last of the coffee. She sees me here on three pillows with the laptop actually on my lap and cannot move. LOL
I never realized the laptop got so warm (hot).

I have a friend down the road, Tom an old man (82) retired farmer from New York. He loves to talk farm, and I enjoy listening and learning. Yesterday he told me his son had just called to say it was cold. BTW he had sold a cow  for meat. It dressed out 1000 lbs of beef.  (Me remembering my dad killing his largest hog ever and it dressed out 500 pounds )  The beef ended up over all selling for $3.30 a pound after slaughter and (hanging 2 weeks) then cut up and vacuum packed.

They also just sold 600 bales of hay to someone in South Carolina for horses. He tells me horses will not eat hay that has chemicals and they do not use any so their hay is in big demand. Just another bit of information I know you are dying to learn. Hay requires 12% moisture. His hay balers test the hay as it is being baled and adds water as needed. I asked how many tractors planters and balers he had. "'bout 26 I think, we are down some."  From our talks before, each tractor is in excess of 100K

If you met Tom on the street you might think he needed a job, you would never know he is a millionaire several times over. LOL  He and his wife are wonderful people. They only come down for a couple months.

Tom told of a farmer in NC who taught him something about coyotes. BY buying a jack (jackass) and letting it run with the cows, you never lose a cow or calf to coyotes.  For some reason the jack has a hate for coyotes and kills or runs them off.
That is my transferred education for today. I am guessing this is about 300 words.


Nite Shipslog.

10 comments:

Glenda said...

Interesting farm facts, I've never heard that horses wouldn't eat hay treated with chemicals. It sounds like quite a farming operation Tom has going on with some great stories! Enjoy.

betty said...

That is interesting about the donkeys not liking coyotes. I wonder how many other farmers know this information. That is also interesting that the horses won't eat hay with chemicals in it. Glad to hear they have discerning tastes!

betty

jack69 said...

Glenda is THE farm girl. I posted early not knowing what today brings... Dear friend invited us to lunch, we are so disjointed right now. We had to decline. We know we will get the coach, not sure if we will leave from the RV repair place for Wildwood or bring it back here to load. Either way we will be in the Orlando traffic. We have bunches to load back into the coach. we Never get everything we need when we leave the coach some where, but we get enough to worry about getting it all back in. hahahaha Life is still good.

Woody said...

Good Post, We have a lot of Hay up here sent South and also to the Midwest for Horses. The Bales are the Big Rectangular ones that need a fork lift to load and unload! Hope you get your Coach back and loaded !!!! Take it easy you 2 !!!! we are home from the Hospital and just resting up !
Take Care Gary + Anna Mae

Mevely317 said...

Oh my word! My maternal grandparents were farmers, but dirt poor. I'm not about to begrudge your friend his spoils. I challenge anyone to deny that farming is HARD work. That's fascinating about donkeys! Neat post, Jack!

Jackie said...

I have learned that in a lot of instances, you cannot tell a millionaire from looking at him/her.
Love your blog!
Yes.

Lisa said...

So, when the Coyote come around, the Donkeys turn into asses. Right?
Hahaha.
Intersting stuff Jack.

Heading to work.
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Would that all farmers were as successful as your friend down the road and could afford a trip south for a couple of months. It takes a lot of work and I salute them for all they do. What would we do without them. We are having some light snow here this morning making for some slick conditions on the road due to the single digit temps here. As usual I'm staying in and keeping warm. Hope you all have a happy Friday!

Dar said...

One of our dear rancher friends in TX uses 'jacks' to protect his herds. You'll see them everywhere among the farms and ranches. Even the fella that makes the hay off our field uses them. He hasn't had a wolf kill one of his calves since. My daughter also buys 'clean' hay for her Arabians for that very reason...they love the 'good stuff'so they don't founder. Your neighbor has quite the operation going. A half ton beef would feed you and Sherry a very long time and the rest of your family.....get one! LOL
loven'hugs from up north where it's 'Finally' warming up. We only had -12 below this morning, the sun is shining bright and at least it Looks warm out there. Have a wonderful weekend on the road, wherever the coach takes you.

TARYTERRE said...

interesting farm post.