Friday, January 18, 2019

Those collectables and such


******** Automobile’s of Art:
1979-1982 Chrysler Cordoba . I loved Ricardo Montelban (?) advertising this one. Loved the accent.

The now:
First, let me thank you all for the ‘out pouring’ of Birthday wishes. Maybe I advertised it too much. I could never answer each ‘wish’ individually. People from my military days and business. Even a few from childhood still living joined in, WOW! THANKS!!

This week I have thought of things folks thought would always be valuable, even collectors dreams. I have a few old tools, the ‘monkey wrench’, blacksmith tongs, weaver’s shuttle and some old coins. The demand for those have dropped as generation’s interest changed.

This is a monkey wrench. The forerunner of the adjustable wrench of today,



There are still many coin collectors, but mostly they seem to buy for value, not rarity. I was telling son Jack today, as I was showing him the few silver dollars I have, “Our first time thru Vegas the slot machines paid off in silver dollars. I could have invested a few hundred silvers and had a ‘young fortune’ now.
     The above is called the Morgan Silver Dollar. I have a few of these.


My first trip to England they still had the copper penny that is the size of our ½ dollar. I remember looking at the dates on them they were many back to the mid 1800s., They were worth a penny, I shoulda got a dollars’ worth of them. LOL

This is the George 5th Penny, almost as big as the USA silver dollar.

I once had a box of Avon Bottles Shirley had given me. I gave them away for someone to sell, but even on e-bay there was not a demand.

Are Beany Babies worth anything now as collector’s items?

I give gold dollars to kids. Usually about 20-25 each week. Son Jack mentioned cleaning coins. He was showing me how to use Texas Pete &/or vinegar. Not to be out done, I added lemon juice, Ha! So I started cleaning the dirtier $1 pieces. They all look better now. The kids will enjoy them.


I wish they were the large silver dollars, but alas, that will never be again.
Nite Shipslog
Do you know of a ‘collector’s item’ gone by the wayside?

9 comments:

betty said...

Those Hummel figures that were popular in the 1950s/1960s seem to have gone by the wayside. From what I read, because hubby's parents had 2 of them that hubby's dad had brought back from Germany, in the 1970s Hummel re-cast a lot of the figurines using different material from the original, thus making those new ones not as valuable. Then, children cleaning out their parents' homes didn't really know what the Hummels were worth or could be worth so they sold them basically a "dime a dozen" type of thing. From what I understand, with the limited amount of research I did, was that the older figurines MIGHT be worth something only if someone was willing to pay the money for their worth. We still have the 2 from his parents, but I doubt that we'll ever strike rich for them. Hubby's mom had a lot of Beanie Babies, but those too seem to fluctuate with their worth and not anything like the heyday when they first came out. We do have silver dollars here. Not sure what they might be worth. I'm of the opinion that things are valuable only if someone is willing to pay the price like I mentioned above. So it is hard to think sometimes what to save, what to get rid of, what might be valuable, what might be considered as junk.

betty

Chatty Crone said...

Oh Jack I have had a few things I sure wish I had held on too. I can't believe I just gave them away. If you enjoy it and it makes you happy keep it.

TARYTERRE said...

once upon a time i was a collector of about anything until i realized things only hold their value for so long.

NanaDiana said...

Great post- Precious Moments figurines have come and gone---Beanie Babies, too. Also, there is not the demand for fine china anymore as meals are much more informal. Tastes change with each generation.

I read that all of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans things were sold off and their museum closed by their son. Sad---the end of an era.

I hope you and your sweetie have a wonderful weekend- Hugs- Diana

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I used to be a collector and yes, even had lots of Avon Bottles. They used to be worth something, but like you say...times do change. I gave those and a lot of other things away when I moved almost 2 years ago now. ;What is left would be of no value to anyone else but me. And I'm keeping life simpler these days. They say to keep only those things that you think beautiful or useful.

Glenda said...

There were some Beany Babies in original packing in the left behind belongings of the "packrat" collector and owner of the property here. Haven't a clue what their original price was but saw on Ebay for $3.99 ~ they were likely a whole lot more at one time. However my "find" wasn't one of the rare Babies. From Google:

Nov 8, 2018 - Some apparently rare Beanie Babies are listed on eBay for prices north of half a million dollars, with one seller asking $660,000 for a set of two ...

Ummmm, too bad. I didn't find one of those!

Dar said...

Times sure DO change and monetary value as well. Remember the Teddies?, not the lounging type :), but the stuffed teddy bears. The Steiffl, Ideal, etc from Germany, Austria, and so on. The rarest are still very valuable but those most seen are only valuable at heart. There are several Beanies lying around in the kids toy box upstairs. The little ones still hug them as it should be. Barbies too, let the children play with them instead of look at them behind a sheet of cellophane. Let a toy be a toy. Now, about the china. I have several sets that would bring only a few bucks today. Time to unload them. I have passed down a lot of the silver dollars, $2.00 bills, etc, to the grandkids as birthday gifts. They still have them so maybe when they are my age, they will have something. lol
love n' hugs from up north where the temp keeps dropping...the full red moon has something to do with that too....we'll be ' hunkering down ' this weekend. Stay warm.

Mevely317 said...

Unlike my parents, I was never one for collecting. Nevertheless, I've a bankers box full of logo'd ashtrays from hotels both international and the States … each carefully preserved in bubble wrap. (Mother kept a news article claiming those would be worth $$$ someday.) Speaking of newspapers, I inherited my dad's collection of front-page declarations: Nixon Resigns, Man Walks on the Moon, Kennedy (-then-Oswald) assassinations. Cool to look at, but I fear with the internet at our fingertips they're largely useless.

Fun post!

Mevely317 said...

Front-page NEWSPAPERS I meant to say!